Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Folder User Permissions (Vista SP1)

Good afternoon.

II am attempting to install a software program on a laptop that is running Vista. The owner recently installed the SP1 update.

The software program will not install completely, apparently because certain files must be loaded into the Windows folder. I checked the User permissions, and none of the users, including the Administrator, have Full Control of the Windows folder. When I edit the permissions to grant Full Control, and attempt to apply the change, an "Access Denied" message appears, and the permissions change is not saved.

I was advised to install the program using the "Run As Administrator" option. However, this option is not available. Installing the SP1 update did not enable it.

Since the Administrator, long with all of the other users (CREATOR OWNER, SYSTEM, etc.) does not have Full Control, using the "Run As Administrator" option for the software executable file would likely be useless. But it.would still be desirable to enable that option.

1. Is there a way to change the Vista default setting that blocks the user from changing the permissions for the Windows Folder?

2. Is there a way to enable or restore the "Run As Administrator" option.

Thank you.

Kevin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Windows Folder User Permissions (Vista SP1)

Yes, Run as Administrator is included in SP1.
    Did you right click the setup or install file and select "Run As Administrator"?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes. After the update was installed, the Run As Administrator option was still missing from the menu after right-clicking on the executable file.

I am more concerned about getting Full Control of the Windows Folder (for the Administrator and other User profiles). Without that, it would seem that Run As Administrator would be ineffective.

Kevin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Is this a work PC that has been locked down by an IT department? Or do you have UAC turned off?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, it is not a work computer. I do not know what UJAC. is. It is not my laptop, but I doubt that the owner knows what it it is and/or turned it off.

I was told by a software tech guy that Microsoft intentionally changed the default [permissions setting for the Vista Windows folder so that users could not make changes. Neither of my pcs are set this way; I can edit the Windows folder permissions.

Anyway, I do not believe that there are any security protocols or setting on the laptop that would be causing the problem(s).

Kevin

Administrator
    Thanks

UAC is User Account Control. It is one of the most misunderstood and complained about features of Vista. See User Account Control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information about UAC. See Disable User Account Control (UAC) the Easy Way on Windows Vista :: the How-To Geek for instructions on how to change the UAC setting.

"Run as Administrator" is the mechanism to use to allow software installation routines access to normally restricted folders.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My apologies. I am familiar with the User Account Control. I thought there was a "J" in there. (I have bad eyes.) I was not getting those prompts on the laptop, so the UAC must be turned off. But that wouldn't cause permissions change problem, would it? It would just allow the user to make changes or install programs with one less impediment.

Are you indicating that the permissions issue cannot be resolved? Again, I have Vista, and can change these permissions on my pc. Would Run As Administrator allow installation of files into a folder for which the Administrator does not have Full Control? If so, how might that be restored, since the SP1 update did not do so.

Thanjs.

Kevin

Administrator
    Thanks

Disabling UAC can cause unusual things to happen. I'd re-enable UAC, re-boot, and then see if the "Run as Administrator" is present.

Administrator is the builtin account not to be confused with the Administrators group. The Administrator account by definition has special permissions. I've not known the Administrator account to not be able to install software.

In any event the account under which the PC is normally run should still be able to take ownership of a folder and grant itself full control as long as it is administrative rights. To do this, right click on the Folder select Properties | Security | Advanced | Owner.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK. I will re-anable UAC on Monday, and see if the Run As Administrator option appears.

As for your last directive, (Properties | Security | Advanced | Owner), that is what I am referring to as being blocked. When those steps are taken on the Windows folder, and I click "Apply", an "Access Denied" message appears, and the permissions change is not saved.

Perhaps that is caused by the UAC being disabled, as well. I will find out next week.

Thank you very much for your help.

Kevin

Administrator
    Thanks

You need to make sure the user account has administrative rights and is not just a normal user.

Joe
    Joe