New Lounger
    Thanks

Updating Office (SP3)

I have Windows XP SP3, Office XP plus Access 2007. Since installing the last Office
    >security update every time I use an Office item I get the Windows Installer box
    popping
    >up, asking me to insert my Office XP disc to configure. I have done this numerous
    >times which works until the next reboot when it starts all over again. Nothing on
    >the web seems to work (the Microsoft fix will not work with 2007) and I am very
    reluctant
    >to re-install any Office programmes as I will lose templates, custom dictionaries
    >etc.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updating Office (SP3)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Microsoft doesn't recommend installing multiple versions of Office applications on one PC, although it is possible. See Information about using 2007 Office suites and programs on a computer that is running another version of Office for details and a possible workaround for Word. If the NoRereg registry entry doesn't help, I fear that it'll be difficult to solve the problem without reinstalling Office (XP first, then Access 2007). Reinstalling shouldn't affect your personal templates, dictionaries and settings, but it's always a good idea to make a backup just in case. See How to use the Save My Settings Wizard to back up user settings in Office XP; unfortunately there is no equivalent for Office 2007.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Worked happily for at least 18 months until I downloaded the last Office security update.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid I don't know which security update that would be and why it causes problems, but you could try uninstalling last week's updates to see if the problem goes away.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

BTW, you apparently asked the more or less the same question three weeks ago here, so the update you mention can't be "the latest Office update" any more...

New Lounger
    Thanks

There has not been an Office security update (at least so Auto-update indicates) since then.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There was one update for Office 2007 among those for November 2008: MS08-069: Description of the security update for the 2007 Office suite: November 11, 2008. Although I don't have Office 2007 myself, this update was installed on my PC with Office XP SP-3 because I have the converter pack for Office 2007 file formats.

But anyway, since the problem started in October, you should look into removing the October patches instead of the November patches.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I stand corrected! How do I find to delete? (I will create restorepoint first!). I can find October's Office updates on download history, but how do I then find on computer?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You should be able to delete them from the Add or Remove Programs control panel.
    By default, this doesn't display Windows and Office updates, but there's a check box "Show updates" near the top. If you tick this check box, you'll see all updates with the date they were installed.