Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Comment balloons don't appear (2003 SP3)

A colleague is working on a document that has tracked changes turned on. He and others working on the document have made many changes and added lots of comments. The changes and comments appear in balloons in the right margin, as usual. Now, for no apparent reason, new comment balloons don't appear. The existing comments do appear, but not new ones. He clicks where he wants to comment, and Word highlights some of the text, as usual. However, the balloon does not appear in the margin. He can key in some text for the comment, and the text will appear as a pop-up when he mouses over the highlighted text. Still, no balloon in the margin. We tried closing Word and re-launching, but the problem persists.

We checked all the settings, and everything says the comment balloons should appear. Any thoughts?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Comment balloons don't appear (2003 SP3)

If the settings in the Track Changes tab of Tools | Options are correct, something may have become corrupt. Let the user try Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post>.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have too many tracked changes and comments in a document then Word cannot display them all in balloons. See for example the attached Word document.

To see the text of the excess comments you need to display the Reviewing Pane, by clicking the right hand icon on the reviewing toolbar. See the help for the topic "Show or hide the reviewing pane" for more info.

StuartR
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I was out of the area for several days and did not think to follow up with the user. Today, another user approached me with the exact same problem. I rushed back here and printed Phil Rabichow's post, and after lunch this second user and I will go through the steps that Phil laid out.

Meantime, I spoke with the first user. I had sent him a link to Phil's post, and I asked whether the problem persists. No, he said, he can now see his comment balloons. However, to see the balloons, he must view the document in Web Layout View! Seems to me that's not the fix. Something's still wrong.

After lunch, I'll take Phil's ideas to user #2 to see whether we can really solve the problem.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart: Thanks for the tip. I've examined your sample document and the user's document, and it appears the user does not have a large number of changes and comments. The list is pretty sparse, in fact.

Problem is that the margin balloons for comments have stopped appearing at all. They appeared on earlier pages, and they're still visible where they appeared. It's as if the document decided on page X that from this point forward there will be no more balloons! The reviewing pane displays whatever the user types in as a comment, but who wants to keep the reviewing pane open? It just eats up real estate.

We're going to apply Phil Rabichow's techniques after lunch and see what happens. Thanks again!

Thanks

<hr>It's as if the document decided on page X that from this point forward there will be no more balloons! <hr>
    Because DOC is a binary format, there can be invisible problems (AKA "corruption") with no solution other than to salvage as much as possible. Does it help if you use Save As to convert the document to another format (e.g., RTF, HTML (not filtered), or Office 2007), close the document, then open and re-convert the new document?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

At this moment, we have two users working on this document in Web Layout View. At least they can see their comment balloons. Nobody's ranting. No one's hair is on fire. You've made an interesting suggestion, Jefferson—converting to another document type, re-open, and convert back to original document type. I'm going to suggest they try that.

One fellow tried Step 1 from Phil Rabichow's article and found only a small handful of temp files. Windows would not allow him to delete two of them. One of those files, he reports, was 42 MB in size! Windows reported that the file was in use by someone else. Now, when I ran this same search on my own system, Windows turned up 13 small files in just a few seconds. Five of these files weighed in at just 1 KB, and the largest (a Word backup file) was a mere 1.3 MB.

Another interesting fact emerged today: Seems an out-of-state contractor produced the document that's causing the headaches. Now it appears that my colleagues have been working with the first version the contractor sent, but the contractor has since replaced it with a new version. My money says the first version was a mess to begin with.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas!