New Lounger
    Thanks

View Outlook emails (view email info when moved to folder)

To keep my PST file small I move my sent and received email for old projects to a folder in with other project data on my HD or backup media. Is there any way to view email data with the detail I see in Outlook, in windows explore? I hope my question is clear. To be sure let me restate with an example. I have moved sent email to a folder for a now completed project. When the sent files where in Outlook I could see who I sent them too and if they had attachments, when I move them to a folder in the project file area, I can only see subject titles and they are not listed with the dates sent.

I would have to think that there is large user demographic that would keep their PST files much smaller if you could view the folders containing old email with the same detail that you can when it is in Outlook.

I have friends that have 18,000+ sent and about as many received emails that they won't get rid of. If they could see the data when moved out to folder, they might be able to get Outlook to close in less than 10 minutes.

Please tell me I was sick the day they showed everyone else in the world how to see this.

If what I want to see is not possible to be viewed once moved from Outlook, who can forward this to MS to see if they are/can mark a viewer for this.

Cheers,
    DuskinMN

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: View Outlook emails (view email info when moved to folder)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

As far as I know, there is no easy way to view info about e-mail messages that have been exported as .msg files to a disk folder.

A better way to keep the size of your .pst file down is to create several .pst files. You can organize them by year, or by project, or whatever suits you best. Move (drag) e-mails out of your main .pst file into another one - you can have several .pst files open at the same time. If you don't need a .pst file for a while, you can close it and reopen it later if you need it again.
    Since the .pst files behave just like your main one, you can view all the details of the messages.

BTW, Outlook has a built-in AutoArchive function - you can have messages, appointments etc. moved to an archive .pst file at a scheduled interval: select Tools | Options, activate the Other tab and click AutoArchive.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

> I move my sent and received email for old projects to a folder in with other project data on my HD or backup media.

What steps do you go through to move them? It sounds like you are moving them to another PST, and Hans has explained how multiple PSTs can be used, opened, items in it viewed, and the PST closed.

*.msg files on a hard drive which are double clicked will be opened by Outlook if it is present, but to my knowledge there's no other app that will open them. Message files saved in *.htm or *.txt format will be opened by your browser or default text editor. Mozilla Thunderbird will not directly read, but will import, PST files. Otherwise you are pretty much out of luck reading native Outlook files unless Outlook application is present.

By the way, which version of Outlook are you using?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

John,

I'm just highlighting them and moving them to a folder in the main folder for the project that they apply to. I'm wanting to be able to read them off a thumb drive or other disk that I have archived or put in to a project file (physical) and have anyone be able to read view them if they need to.

If it was only me that needed to view the stuff the extra profiles (PST) would be fine. But when you hand off a project the work it takes for others to view a PST is not practical.

As much as we now depend on email I'm just amazed that MS has not added a viewer to explorer so you can view them will the same detail as in Outlook.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can easily send a .pst file to someone else; they can open it in Outlook.

I assume that Microsoft has never seen the need for a separate e-mail viewer - they expect people to use Outlook.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As I've mentioned before, you can create several .pst files. You can move or copy selected items to a .pst file dedicated to a specific project or period. You can give a copy of that specific .pst file to someone else, or if you're on a network, you can place the .pst file in a shared folder (only one person at a time can open it though). If you're on Microsoft Exchange you can give others access to some of your folders, or you can use public folders.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks for the reply. If you read my other reply you will see that what I wanting to do is share these emails with other people that take over a project of need to view the details later. It is not easy for the average Joe/Jane to open a PST without support from IT.

I understand the reason for putting all Outlook data in one place (PST file). But let's think about this, if we handled Word files or Excel files the same way we couldn't share anything in any practical way. Forwarding email is one thing but needing to archive correspondence for easy reading and searching is another.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

In Windows Vista you can use the preview pane in Windows Explorer to read a .msg file.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Can a person just double click on a PST file and it will open? That is the level of access I need for the people that need access to this stuff.

Thanks for your help on this!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

It is easy to read the message I agree. The trick is finding the email ( from John.Doe with the attachment) that you want to read.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, you have to open it from within Outlook, using File | Open | Outlook Data File...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

If you are using Vista or some desktop search program you could go to the folder where the project files are stored and search for what you need. Then use the preview to actually read the files.

Joe
    Joe