Thread: jpg, bmp, etc

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

jpg, bmp, etc

I have a user who installed Office 2000 and is complaining that whenever he opens a jpg, bmp or other picture file he cannot open it in photoshop. He said that MS forces him to open in MS photoeditor, not photoshop. I asked if he could right click and choose a program to open in and he said he yes but shouldn't have to. So I need to fix this. Any suggestions?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: jpg, bmp, etc

Directions for changing File Associations are in Windows Help. From W95 Help:

1. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the View menu, and then click Options.
    2. Click the File Types tab.
    3. In the list of file types, click the one you want to change. The settings for that file type are shown in the File Type Details box.
    4. Click Edit.
    5. In the Actions box, click Open.
    6. Click Edit, and then specify the program you want to use to open files that have this extension.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you - I did a little digging around but I guess not far enough. Is there a way to prevent Office 2000 from changing these settings?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The installation of O2k suite probably reset any user specified file associations; once user specififed associations are reset, current O2k installs shouldn't mess with them.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You will find that if you install a different Photo type softawre it will change these settings. So one needs to learn how to reset the setting when ever a new program is install or uninstalled.
    The quickest is using the 'Shift right click' and select 'Open with' and make sure the 'Always to use' box is checked, for each file type that you want or need to change.[img]/w3timages/icons/scream.gif[/img]

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Melanie,

I know people who use a lot of graphic programs. Seems like every time you load a new one, it takes over the file extension.

I found a nice little utility called File Association that is a bit easier and more flexible to use than the Windows method. Only trouble is I don't remember where I found it and I don't have it on this machine. It probably was on a Ziff Davis bulletin board.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Thanks

Maybe this one here called 'Freedom of Association' ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Leif,

You discovered it [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Yes it was Freedom of Association. It even looks like it hasn't been updated since I got it about a year ago. I didn't think there was really much you could do to improve on it anyway.

Hope it helps Melanie.

Fred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. This looks like it will do the trick. I just downloaded it. I will check it out and recommend to the department. You guys are great!

ileacy

Leif:

Thanks for reminding me of this one. I have used it for so long I almost forgot it wasn't part of Windows.[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Posted a link to it in Freebies.