Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Bad Normal.dot (2002)

I had a bad Normal.dot file. I renamed it and then opened Word again. I read that if you renamed or deleted your Normal.dot file that Word would create a new one when you opened it. In my case, it is not being created.

I can copy my macros to the Normal.dot global template and use them but when I close Word and reopen it, they are gone. The same thing happens when I customize my toolbar. They are lost and Normal.dot was still not created.

So I created my own MyFile.dot with macros copies over from by old template. I closed Word and then create a document with the MyFile.dot template and the macros are not there.

My major problem is why my Normal.dot file is not being saved when there was none and why can’t I save my macros in a new template and then lose those macros?

Anyone have any ideas?
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Bad Normal.dot (2002)

Remember that EACH account has their own Normal.dot, are you sure you are clearing the right one?

Using XP, the user template can be found at "Cocuments and Settings(User name)Application DataMicrosoftTemplates" .

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Word will not create a new Normal.dot file until it is needed to store some customizations. But creating or copying macros to Normal.dot should cause it to be saved. So you may have more problems than just Normal.dot. Try Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post>.

Thanks

Dave, yes I made sure it was my account and not someone else's.
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Thanks

Han's, I tried Phil's approach and wasn't successful. I was hoping that the last step, deleting the Data key and letting Word rebuild it, would fix the problem but not such luck. It's acting like I'm running Word with the /a switch and bypassing templates and add-ins but I'm running it without switches. Whatever's causing the problem, it is very frustrating.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Select Tools | Options...
    Activate the Save tab.
    Tick the check box "Prompt to save Normal template", then click OK.
    If you create a macro in Normal.dot, then exit Word, do you get prompted?

Also: if you record a macro in Normal.dot and activate the Visual Basic Editor, can you view the macro code?
    What happens if you make sure that Normal is selected in the Project Explorer on the left hand side, then select File | Save Normal?

Thanks

Hans, you are on to something. I ticked “Prompt to save Normal Template” and then created a macro directly in VBE. I ran the macro successfully. Then exited Word and I got no prompt to save the Normal template.

I then recorded a macro and then viewed the code in the NewMacro module. Exited Word and then opened Word and the recorded macro was NOT there and the NewMacro module was not there either. And once again I got no prompt to save Normal template. Is there anything else I can try?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried

> What happens if you make sure that Normal is selected in the Project Explorer on the left hand side, then select File | Save Normal?

from my previous reply?

Thanks

I apologize for not testing that one. I was anxious to test the others that I missed this one.

I was able to do File | Save and the Normal template was indeed saved to my template folder. I exited windows and then open it again and I got an error message that said Word encountered an error and wants to close. The only thing in the Normal template was that one macro. I then renamed the Normal template and opened Word without a problem. It seems to be something wrong with the way it is saving the Normal template.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When you went through Phil Rabichows trouble shooting steps, did you notice any add-ins (global templates)? The most probable explanation seems to me to be an add-in that interferes with Normal.dot.

Thanks

I used the COM Add-Ins method to look at the add-ins and templates. It only shows two: Microsoft Word East European Fonts Tools and Web Page Wizard. Both were unchecked so I assume they wouldn’t cause the problem.

I do have Adobe Acrobat version 7.0 on my menu bar but that was there before I started having this problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Still, the Adobe add-in is known to cause all kinds of problems. Try disabling it, at least temporarily.

Thanks

How do I disable it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Through the Add or Remove Programs control panel.
    Locate Adobe Acrobat 7 and click Change/Remove.
    Click Next, then Modify, then Next.
    Expand Create Adobe PDF > Acrobat PDFMaker > Microsoft Office.
    Select 'This feature will not be available'.
    Click Next etc.

Thanks

Thank you Hans. I follow the steps and after I clicked Change/Remove I came across the company's security prevention messages and it wouldn't let me go any further. Sigh. Unless there is something else to try, I will have to talk with our IT department about disabling it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast