New Lounger
    Thanks

cannot get onto domain to access old emails (2003)

Hi

I am trying to help a colleague. He has a computer from a now defunct organisation. He wanted to retrieve his emails - but couldn't access it since he couldnt get on the domain (the domain no longer exists). I have found an .ost file that is 1.3 gig so that seems to be the one, but I can't get into it.

Is there any way I can extract them from this .ost file and add them to his new local account's outlook?

TIA
    Ed

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: cannot get onto domain to access old emails (2003)

Here are links to three different tools all of which cost. Outlook OST Recovery Tool to Convert OST to PST - Recover OST Emails, Convert OST to PST - OST to PST Conversion - Convert OST, & Buy page of Recovery Toolbox for Outlook.

I can't vouch for any of them as being effective or not. You can check the links at ost pst conversion - Google Search for other possible avenues.

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to the Lounge. Have fun here, check out the FAQ and Help, (top of main page) and Rules (bottom of main page).

This may work, I have never tried it. Make back-ups of all current and old PST's and OSTs before attempting, or you will very likely lose critical current data!

Set up or locate an instance of Outlook which has Exchange as it's mail server, then if none exists create an OST file - Tools | Email accounts | View or change existing email account settings | Change | More Settings | Advanced | Offline File Settings, etc. If an OST exists, make a copy of it, then proceed. Close Outlook and overwrite that new or backed-up OST file with the orphaned OST. Then disconnect from the LAN/Internet, then open Outlook - with luck it will open the OST. Export the content to a new PST, exit Outlook and restore everything to former settings.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

One of my colleagues had a little disaster with a deleted and partially recovered mailbox about 14 months ago. We thought his OST would get us back to normal, but it was not to be. We bought Kernel OST to PST from Nucleus Data Recovery.com Pvt Ltd, which cost about $200. It was not completely successful with either the mail or the contacts. We got a patched version and worked by email with tech support, but in the end we faced the choice to either work with the partially recovered data or send our OST to India. What a mess. Anyway, I hope you find a good solution.