Thread: New SATA HDD?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New SATA HDD?

My PC, running XP MCE, came with a 160GB SATA hard drive. When it started to fill up, I added a 500GB SATA drive, and moved a lot of data files to it. That drive started acting up a couple days ago, so today I bought a replacement 500GB SATA. Since the original 160GB drive is a Seagate, I used Seagate's DiskWizard software to clone the original drive to the new one (my plan now is to NOT have two drives, by putting my data onto the new 500GB drive, too). The cloning appears to have gone perfectly, but the 160GB drive is still showing up as C, and the new drive as E (an optical drive is D). I swapped the data cables, so that the 500GB drive is showing in the BIOS as Channel 2 Master, and the 160GB drive is Channel 3 Master. Although the BIOS is set for Ch. 2 boot before Ch. 3 boot, how can I be sure that the PC is actually booting from the new drive? And how do I clean up the drive letters, so the new boot drive shows as C?

Thanks

Re: New SATA HDD?

John,
    I have my Vista partition up right now but to manage your drives, it's about the same in XP, if I remember.
    Control Panel>Administrative tools>Computer Management>Action>All Tasks>change drive letters>change drive letters and paths.
    From there you can select the drive and use the "wizard" to do it's thing.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> Control Panel>Administrative tools>Computer Management>Action>All Tasks>change drive letters>change drive letters and paths. From there you can select the drive and use the "wizard" to do it's thing. <<

When I try to change the drive letter for C, I get an error message "The volume contains a pagefile," and can go no further.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

See Seagate Technology - DiscWizard. Note: that Diskwizard is to migrate DATA. It is not to create a new boot drive. This is often the case with the software supplied with a disk drive. You need to use imaging software to backup the old drive and then restore it ot the new drive. You may also have to do a Recovery install to get the new drive working properly.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> Note: that Diskwizard is to migrate DATA. It is not to create a new boot drive. <<

That's not how I read the following in the DiscWizard Help File: "Seagate*DiscWizard also lets you transfer your data to your new Seagate disc drive in minutes. The software migrates everything your operating systems, applications, documents and personal setting to your new disc drives just as you had them. After you migrate, you can keep using your PC just like before. You can then keep your old drive as a backup or use Seagate*DiscWizard to store your image backups."

There surely has to be some way to make this work. Otherwise I'd need ANOTHER hard drive, to store an image of the old drive, then "restore" the image to the new 500GB drive.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

To test from which drive the system boots, disconnect the old drive. If the system boots and runs correctly then you are good to go.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Temporarily remove the page file.
    Right Click My Computer. Click properties>Advanced>Performance>Settings>Advanced> Virtual memory>change.

Select that drive and click bullseye for "no paging file">SET.
    OK out.
    Reboot and the page file will be gone for now, although NOT deleted from the drive.

Change the drive letter to C: ( make sure there is no other drive using the C letter )
    Reboot.

Now you can reestablish the page file by using the same sequence but now checking the "let Windows manage page file" Click SET and reboot.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> To test from which drive the system boots, disconnect the old drive. If the system boots and runs correctly then you are good to go. <<

And the new drive didn't boot Next, I installed True Image 11, and tried the disk clone operation again. TI was quite specific that the cloning would make the new drive bootable, and I even saw it writing the MBR at the end of the cloning process. Thought "kewl," now I'm good to go. Shut the PC down, disconnected the old drive, and started the PC. Got as far as an XP splash screen, and no further. Frustration level going sky high

Thanks

Have you changed the boot drive letter to C: yet?
    BOB

Today it is called golf!