New Lounger
    Thanks

Non Standard Font - Document Exchange (Office 2003)

Hi

I think I know the answer to this question but before telling our marketing people to think again, I just wanted to double check.

Our marketing/branding team have selected a new font (Utopia) for all of our publications including Word documents. This font isn't standard in the OS. We are a legal firm and exchange documents all of the time with other firms. I'm assuming that any 3rd party who received our documents and doesn't have this font installed will not see the document formatting/layout as we intended. This will give us huge problems as page 3 for us needs to be page 3 for all parties.

Am I correct in saying that this will be an issue and we should stick to the standard Windows OS fonts for our documents?

Thanks

M

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Non Standard Font - Document Exchange (Office 2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

It is possible to include TrueType fonts in Word documents; there's a check box for this in the Save tab of Tools | Options. PowerPoint has the same option.
    Ticking this check box will ensure that the document or presentation looks the same on other computers, but at the cost of increasing the file size significantly.
    It will only work if the Utopia font is not protected - sometimes fonts are protected in such a way that they can only be used inside the company, and will display a copyright violation message if you try to use them elsewhere.

An alternative would be to distribute the documents in PDF format. This is fine for publications, but not for documents need to be edited by the recipient.

For editable documents, I think it would be best to use standard Windows fonts. In two of the organizations that I've worked for, they tried to introduce a non-standard font for all official documents, and in the end returned to standard Windows fonts because the proprietary font caused too many problems when exchanging documents with others.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Non Standard Font - Document Exchange (Office 2003)

Thanks for such a prompt response, very helpful.

My recommendation will certainly be to use standard Windows font.

M