Lounger
    Thanks

overriding internal commands (Word 2003/2007)

I want to override some internal Word commands, but only under certain conditions; otherwise I need the original internal command to run from my VBA procedure. But how? For example,

Sub IncreaseIndent()
    If Selection.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles("LB") Then
    ListBullet2
    Else
    'run the original internal "IncreaseIndent" here - but how???
    End If
    End Sub

Thank you so much for any help!
    Robin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: overriding internal commands (Word 2003/2007)

Does

Selection.Paragraphs.Indent

do what you want?

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

thanks, I had in fact already tried that in the procedure that overides the internal "Indent" command; maybe it'll do the job for "IncreaseIndent" too, I'll check it out, and thank you very much. I got the name "IncreaseIndent" and the others listed below by, from the UI, pressing Ctrl+Alt+[NumPad+] and then clicking the Increase Indent button. The name doesn't seem to appear in the object model but that's what Word says the internal command is called. What I'm actually looking for is a generic way of passing control back to Word, so running the command in the application layer, if my procedure (with the same name as the internal command) finds that to be necessary.

In the code I'm working on I have to override Indent, UnIndent, IncreaseIndent, DecreaseIndent, HangingIndent and UnHang. But all of these only need to change the default behaviour if a certain style is in effect, otherwise I want to pass control back to Word. Any further thoughts? Thanks again,

Robin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is no universal way to find the VBA equivalent of a built-in command. Sometimes it's very easy to find in the VBA help or in the Object Browser (F2), and sometimes you can find it by recording a macro, but unfortunately this doesn't always work.

Lounger
    Thanks

Ok Hans, thanks very much for your help. Maybe recording a few macros might sort things out for me. All the same, I seem to remember, long ago, that I was able to do something like:

Sub FilePrint()
    If ItsFriday Then
    MsgBox "No printing on Friday!"
    Else
    Application.Commands("FilePrint") 'or something like this
    End Sub

...but I guess I must be mistaken.

Robin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can use

Application.Run "FilePrint"

to invoke the FilePrint command but that won't help if you have hijacked it by creating a macro named FilePrint, for Application.Run would call that macro, causing an infinite loop.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I think that you will find the following construct will not cause an endless loop<div style="width: 100%; background-color: #FFFFFF;"><code><font color=black><font color=blue>Sub</font color=blue> FilePrint()
    <font color=blue>If</font color=blue> Day(Now) = 7 <font color=blue>Then</font color=blue>
    MsgBox "Not printing today"
    <font color=blue>Else</font color=blue>
    Application.PrintOut
    <font color=blue>End</font color=blue> <font color=blue>If</font color=blue>
    End <font color=blue>Sub</font color=blue>
    </font color=black></code></div hiblock>
    Regards
    Don

Lounger
    Thanks

Don, you and Hans are of course quite right; there really doesn't seem to be a way to do what I was trying. In the end the problem is fixed; I was able to use Selection.Paragraphs.Indent for both Indent and IncreaseIndent, and Selection.Paragraphs.Outdent for the other direction. The Hang and Unhang turned out to be Selection.ParagraphFormat.TabHangingIndent 1, and Selection.ParagraphFormat.TabHangingIndent -1 respectively. Now I can sleep easy! Thanks again guys. RF