New Lounger
    Thanks

Converting foot notes to end notes in MS Word (X)

I am editing a 150-page book manuscript that has 149 foot notes. I have been asked to convert them to end notes, but each time I try to convert the text of foot note #1 is deleted and a Roman numeral one appears centered at the top of page one of the manuscript. That Roman numeral cannot be deleted once it appears. Otherwise, the conversion works. Is this caused by a cursor placement quirk? Is my only option to save foot note #1 to the clip board and paste it in after the conversion?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Converting foot notes to end notes in MS Word (X)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

That's a strange problem! I've never heard of it and I can't find any reference to it or something similar in Google or the newsgroups.
    Unless someone else comes up with a bright suggestion, the workaround that you propose is probably the best you can do.

Can you get at the Roman numeral if you select View | Header and Footer?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Converting foot notes to end notes in MS Word

No I can't get to the 1, and it is not in the header block. It should be a one click conversion, but there is some kind of strangeness going on with the program. Thanks for the reply.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Converting foot notes to end notes in MS Word

Our moderator Phil Rabichow has written a <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post>, but it's focused on the Windows version of Word; I don't know how much of it applies to Word X for the Mac, but you could give it a try.