New Lounger
    Thanks

mouse scrolling speed too fast in Word (Word 2003)

Does anyone know how to slow down the speed of automatic scrolling in Word 2003 please? Clicking the centre wheel on the mouse should allow a controlled scrolling speed by dragging the onscreen arrow icons further apart or closer together, but even moving the mouse slightly produces a high scrolling speed.
    Using the Up and Down keys also has the same effect the slowest scrolling speed available is still far too fast. ( The auto scrolling for web pages functions correctly using both mouse wheel and keys I can scroll at snails' pace if desired ! )
    I have used the Search section on this forum in all variations of ' mouse wheel automatic scroll speed ' in both the Word and Windows XP categories, but nothing seems to address the option of clicking the mouse wheel and drawing the fleche icons apart to adjust scrolling speed. If I have missed the thread perhaps someone could advise the category and words needed to be entered into the Search box please.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition service pack 3. My competence level with computers is probably experienced rather than beginner, but still struggling ! I would be grateful for any advice. Many thanks.
    Dave Dale.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: mouse scrolling speed too fast in Word (Word 2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

It's called the AutoScroll feature, you'll find some threads about it if you search for autoscroll. It works fine for some people, and it is almost unusable for others. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a setting that controls the AutoScroll speed.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. I have checked the threads for Autoscroll but nothing seems to apply to Word 2003. I have tried other helplines and forums for this problem before I tried Woody's. Nobody seems to know the answer. I think I'll just give up ! Thanks anyway.
    Dave Dale

Thanks

In my Word 2003, it's quite slow if I want it to be.

To make sure we are discussing the same thing: I click the scroll wheel in the middle of the document, and Word/Windows displays a little symbol of an upward pointing triangle above a dot above a downward pointing triangle. There is a matching light gray symbol hidden directly behind it. When I move the mouse forward (without holding any buttons) and the black symbol is above the gray symbol, the document scrolls upward, and vice versa.

This is a Windows XP (Pro) system with a very basic corded optical mouse using the Microsoft mouse driver dating back to 2001. If you have a different kind of mouse or custom mouse software, perhaps there are some options there that you can play with?