Thanks

Windows Update - Review Available?

My XP MCE computer was hosed by XP SP3 so I have had to rebuild it from scratch (reformat - reinstall). Since then, I have been ignoring the little 'updates available' icon thinking it was MS nagging me about SP3. Well, today, I finally got around to looking at what they wanted only to find no SP3, but lots of other updates - is there a list of updates and some commentary on how stable they are, the implications of installing them, etc available somewhere to help me pick what to install and what not to install?
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"

Thanks

Re: Windows Update - Review Available?

By not installing any updates at all, you are leaving yourself open to a load of security issues and a loss of other performance updates.

I have ALL of the available updates on my XP partition ( including SP3 ) and know of no problems created by the updates. I don't know of any list of all of the updates with pro or con comments.

I would suggest you start installing a few updates at a time ( not the whole batch at once ) oldest first, then work down the list. You probably have many on the list. SP3 will not be shown as a recommended update until certain other hotfixes are installed, so you can make your decision then. I would install it but that's your choice.

A good Imaging program is a VERY recommeded addition to your safeguards.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Re: Windows Update - Review Available?

thx Bob. I have acronis so imaging / back up is taken care of. I will be steering away from SP3 as I have seen reports that it hoses Media Center - like it did to me.
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"