Lounger
    Thanks

Only Boots to Safe Mode (win98)??

My friend has a PC with Win98 and "suddenly" it will only boot to safe mode.
    Any tips for getting him back to his normal desktop?
    Says he does not get the options menu at startup -- just goes straight to Safe Mode...
    Phyl

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Only Boots to Safe Mode (win98)??

Usually that behavior is a sign of hardware resource conflict or corrupted driver. Right-click My Computer, then Device Manager and look for the yellow exclamation signs at the devices. If so, check the driver for the device (highlight the device, right-click and choose Properties), or try to change assigned resources to this device.
    To get to the startup menu anyway, press and hold F8 key at the bootup process. You can force computer to start at Normal mode, but if there really are conflicts, you will get error messages.

Another cause may be corrupted registry. Click Start, Programs, System Tools, System Information. From the Tools menu, click Registry Checker.
    Registry Checker can't fix the corrupt or missing driver.
    To check drivers and other critical files, use System File Checker. You can start it from System Information (as described above) or clicking Start, Run and typing
    C:WINDOWSSYSTEMSFC.EXE (assuming that WINDOWS is your Windows folder).

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Only Boots to Safe Mode (win98)??

Hi
    I replied to this earlier, but my post never reached the Board.

As well as the advice from kaplinb, you can also get back to a good copy of your Registry :

1. in Win 9x by getting to a DOS prompt and running Scanreg /fix

2. in addition, try just Scanreg, then Restore an earlier copy of the Registry, starting with the earliest until you get one that's accepted.

(3. In Windows 2000 you need to use the Start Up floppies and/or the Emergency Repair Disc (of which you have up to date copies, naturally). If you need to know how to do this, it's over in the Windows 2000 Forum, under How to Boot from a Floppy.)

4. It may also be that something in your boot-up files is telling it to use Safe Mode. Check in :
    MSDOS.SYS (remove attributes to edit)
    Config.sys
    Autoexec.bat

(check for /s or /safe switches). REM out unnecessary lines, or lines that are doing something you don't know about. You can always put them back later. Look for 'real mode' drivers being loaded (these should not be needed).

Rgds