New Lounger
    Thanks

Office XP and Terminal Server (XP)

Does anyone use Office XP with windows terminal server (sp1) and/or Citrix, or know if Office XP is compatible with this Operating system? MicroSoft are vague on this issue, the best I've found is:

"Microsoft Office XP Standard requires Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows Millennium, Microsoft NT v4.0 Service Pack 6a or Windows 2000 or later."

(As I understand, Win TS is technically from the same family as NT, but lord knows what TS service pack is equivalent to NT service pack 6a, if any).

Thanx

MikeA

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Office XP and Terminal Server (XP)

Mike,

From my (meagre) knowledge of Windows Terminal Server and Citrix, WTS and Citrix are not operating systems, rather they are means for deploying a Windows operating system and applications to networked users using a server/thin client architecture (i.e. the OS and the apps reside on the server rather than on the client PC). I think it's also possible to do hybrid versions of this where the OS and apps reside on the client PC, and WTS/Citrix is used to make available additional applications without the need to install these on the client PCs.

I've seen or heard of Office 97, Office 2000 and Office XP running on WTS/Citrix systems. MS has copious documentation on deploying applications on a WTS system; sorry I don't know where/how to track it down.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office XP and Terminal Server (XP)

Hi Gary
    Thanks for your reply.

We currently run Office 97 with Citrix/TS on a big site, and it works a dream. I can recommend it. It's installed on the terminal servers, not on client PC's, and users can use it directly; also, our hospital system uses it to create documents via OLE automation without problem.

I would have thought Office 2000 would run OK, but I'm told one of our techies couldn't get it to work (dll conflicts), but he's on holiday for a few weeks ...

Office XP is an entirely different kettle of fish. First, MicroSoft are so specific about NT patch levels needed. Second, people who have installed it say it replaces dlls wholesale, and really sticks deep roots into the OS. OS version might well be important.

I think we'll just have to give it a fling on a spare Citrix box.

Cheers
    MikeA

Warwick, UK