5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems with Internet Explorer (7.0.5730.11)

I am having considerable problems with Internet Explorer. When I click on a URL and it goes to the page, sometimes, everything stops as if it is hung up. When I bring up the Task Manager, it shows that there are two, sometimes three, instances of iexplore.exe open (and presumable running). I do not understand why this happens and why there is more than one instance running, because I have not initiated more than one instance. This situation hangs up my computer and means I have to use the Task Manager to shut iexplore.exe down and restart it. I want to know why this happens and what I can do about it (if anything).

I am also getting the problem that when I go to a website, Internet Explorer tells me that "it has encountered a problem and needs to close" (happened 4 times tonight). I don't understand why this happens, not what the "problem" is. Again,what can I do to fix this problem My wife has the same problem on her computer. All of these situations are fairly recent occurrences.
    Any insight, suggestions, or solutions that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. (Enough to make me go to Firefox)

Ron M

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problems with Internet Explorer (7.0.5730.11)

It could be caused by malware. Have you run a full scan recently?

Someone else had a similar problem recently that was solved by uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Flash. I don't know whether it'll help you but you might give it a try.

Administrator
    Thanks

If this happens consistently on certain URLs please post one or two so we can try them. Many times addins are the culprits for IE problems. You could try running IE with addins disabled for a while and see if that helps. You could then re-enable addins one at a time to isolate which is causing the problem.

NOTE: If you run with addins available any sites that use Flash or Java will not appear correctly.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, I run a full scan once a week using Norton and I use adAware once every couple of weeks. I have disabled some of my addins, but now I cannot get anything to display properly in my IE window, especially pictures. So, I guess my question is...should I reinstall Internet Explorer or use Firefox? (get a new machine??) I would appreciate some insight on how to deal with this problem. Thanks.

RonM

P.S. joeperez, I cannot say that it happens on only certain URLs. At this point it seems to be almost random(?).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Even if you switch to Firefox as your default browser, you'll still need Internet Explorer for some things, so it's important to restore it to working order. You could try uninstalling Internet Explorer 7, then reinstalling it.

Administrator
    Thanks

Many problems with IE are addin related. Try running with addins disabled. If that works re-enable one addin at a time until it fails. Then you''ll know which one is the problem. To start IE with no addons you can go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (no addons) or open a run box and enter "iexplore.exe -extoff" (with the quotation marks).

Joe