3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unavailable character removal (Excel SP3)

I have column A formatted as Marlett, and filled with =CHAR(33) to (255). This displays all the quirky symbols in the Marlett font for those character codes. But for some of the character codes, Marlett doesn't have a character, so it gives up and plugs in an open rectangle. I want to delete the empty rectangles so I'm just left with Marlett's symbols in column A. I tried =CLEAN(A1) copied down in column B, and it returns the Arial character for the character code (e.g., 33 > "!"). I need to do this cleansing with a formula, since I have many columns of symbols, each formatted in a different font. No matter what I try, Excel stubbornly operates on the cell contents as though it was formatted in Arial. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unavailable character removal (Excel SP3)

You could format column B as Marlett too, but you'll find that the CLEAN function doesn't do what you want - it only strips characters with code < 32.
    There is no built-in function that "knows" which codes correspond to valid characters in a non-standard font such as Marlett. You'll have to manage it manually.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unavailable character removal (Excel SP3)

I was afraid you'd say that! So What You See Is not necessarily What You Get. Oh well. Thanks for the quick reply.