Thread: Barcode device

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Barcode device

This is a tricky post. It should probably be in Hardware, but I'm going to start it here because of the OS requirement. If needed, I'll move it to the hardware board in a couple of days.

I'm looking for a hardware device that will connect via WiFi (WPA2 Encryption required), that uses Windows Mobile or Palm OS, and can read a barcode into a web browser (on the same device). The device doesn't require a keyboard for text entry, however that would be a nice to have. We are replacing current devices that run on the Palm platform, and can only connect with WEP encryption or worse. These devices will be used in a storeroom to issue / receive inventory stock for work orders, and shipping.

Does anyone have suggestions?
    Christopher Baldrey

Thanks

Re: Barcode device

Motorola has several WinMo devices that support WPA2. Some also are mobile phones, but if that isn't necessary, you might save some dough. I found these pages by trying to find Symbol Technologies, which I guess was absorbed by Motorola?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that list Jefferson. I've been looking at vendor pages for the last I don't know how long, and hadn't been able to find information for anything above WEP.

These are a good start for further investigation.
    Christopher Baldrey

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We use Intermec hand held devices in our warehouses for similar functions. These devices are ruggedised and support wireless connectivity (WiFi and Bluetooth) and have built in barcode scanners. We don't use the web browser but have proprietary in-house developed software.

There are a number of models available. Take a look.

Regards,
    Kevin Bell