Star Lounger
    Thanks

Handling broken links. (Excel 2007)

I received a workbook from a colleague containing a number of links to other Excel workbooks, he failed to send the "other" workbooks.

When opened in Excel 2003 I am offered the chance to update the links, if I say "yes" Excel tells me it can't find the "Other" workbooks but still gives figures in any cell where there is a link that can't be updated.

If I open the same file in Excel 2007 security alerts pop up, I again choose to update the links and I am told I can't but this time in any cell with a link I get #REF!

On reflection the way Excel 2007 handles this is probably "correct" in that if the links are broken then the workbook makes it very obvious something is wrong. However I would prefer Excel 2007 to operate in the same way as Excel 2003 and give me figures instead of #REF!

Is there an option in Excel 2007 that would enable it to work as Excel 2003 does?

Regards

Tony
    Rutland, UK

Thanks

Re: Handling broken links. (Excel 2007)

Have you tried telling it to NOT update the links? If you don't have the workbooks, there is no need to update...

Steve

Star Lounger
    Thanks

When the workbook opens in Excel 2007 every broken link has #REF! in the cell, that is before dealing with security alerts to do with running macros and updating links. Even if I choose don't update the #REF! remains. Unlike when run in Excel 2003 where figures appear in all the cells with broken links.

It seems such a radically different way of dealing with the broken links that I wondered if there was an option in Excel 2007 where I could get it to act as Excel 2003 does.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help - that was what I was after.

Tony