5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOCs Styles (Word 2003)

I am working with a TOC where I want the style TOC 1 to correspond with neither a page number nor a tab leader (which is not the case for the other levels). Am I correct in stating that Word allows one to choose between either having a page number and tab leader for either all of the TOC levels or none of the TOC levels, without an option to pick and choose between them?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOCs Styles (Word 2003)

You can specify that level 1 does not display page numbers by adding the switch
    <code>
    n 1-1
    </code>
    to the field code for the TOC. n suppresses page numbers, and 1-1 is the range of levels for which you want to suppress them. See the Word help for the TOC field, or Field codes: TOC (Table of Contents) field (expand the Switches section).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, I just made the fanciest TOC yet!

One more question: is there a way to adjust the tab leader in a TOC (from a dotted tab leader to a solid horizontal line) without deleting the old TOC and creating a new one indicating the horizontal solid line tab leader? I want to avoid deleting the old since I already modified it so much. Even if I create a new one and just copy the code of the old to the new, it appears that some of the style adjustments I made to the old one don't come into the new one (since I can't select the exact same TOC that I designed by simply picking one of Word's tempates).

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can modify the TOC 1 style, delete the existing right-aligned tab and set a new one with the desired tab leader. I'd also turn off the check box "Automatically update" for the style.
    Repeat for TOC 2 etc., as far as needed for your TOC.
    When you're done, select the TOC and press Ctrl+Q to reset paragraph formatting.

Thanks

I think the tab leader is part of the style settings, so you could use the Organizer dialog to copy your customized style definitions from the old document to the new document, and perhaps eventually to a template for easy future access.

(I get to the Organizer dialog through Tools > Macro > Macros; I'm not sure whether there is a more direct route.)