3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Runing chkdsk at startup (XP SP3)

During recent attempts to run chkdsk /R (implies /F) on my c: drive I was told that it couldnt run because it didnt have exclusive access to the drive, and invited it to run at the next boot. I said Yes and rebooted.

At every startup, I now get a message saying it is running chkdsk c:. This DOS dialogue then says that it cannot get exclusive acccess and says it has finished checking the disk and carries on to load XP without really running the check.

Two questions.
    1. how can I get it to run this check at startup? (and I guess what is stopping it)
    2. how can I get rid of the abortive test in the meantime?

Thanks

Mike C

Thanks

Re: Runing chkdsk at startup (XP SP3)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

... and I thank you for this posting as well!

Circumstances used in blog are not quite the same as mine, but I think that it should fix it.

Do we know what it is that is already accessing the drive and stopping the job running?

Mike C

Thanks

>> Do we know what it is that is already accessing the drive and stopping the job running?

If you mean running chkdsk on C: drive when you are in XP, XP itself!
    For security, several files will be locked for access even to itself (which is why you sometimes need to reboot after an update so that files can be copied while XP isn't running.)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    No, in your case you initiated the check yourself. It can be difficult to find what is locking the drive before the chkdsk gets access.

One thing you could try, if you have access to your Windows install media and it isn't some recovery CD and your Admin password, is to boot to the Recovery Console (RC) and run chkdsk from there, thus is the HDD offline.

In the RC the switch:
    /r is the same as /r in the Windows shell or command prompt, but
    /p is the same as /f in the Windows shell or command prompt, more or less.

But as you know /? gives you all help needed.

See also my <post:=603,616>post 603,616</post:> and posts above, starting with <!profile=StuartR>StuartR<!/profile> mentioning chkntfs for some discussion. The blog only mention one chkntfs-switch but there are several as you probably know, and running with no, just to check the status of the volume.

It could be security software or perhaps even malware that makes it impossible for chkdsk to get exclusive access at start time, or just some glitch.

But try the RC if you like and see if it can reset the "dirty bit" without the use of chkntfs to exclude volumes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Running XP Pro you should be able to run chkdsk /f at a cmd prompt. When you get the message about "Cannot lock current drive and then be offered the opportunity to run chkdsk at the next restart. If you answer Y and do a shut down restart, you should see the chkdsk display.

Is this not what happens for your computer?

Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    I have no problem running chkdsk on my computer. I think your reply was intended for Mike C, I don't know if he has solved his problem.

Chkdsk /f also works on the Home Edition.