Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

problems connecting to printer (Vista)

I have a new desktop named Tom-PC, and a laptop named Tom-Laptop. Both computers are running Windows Vista.

The laptop connects wirelessly.

What I am trying to do is add a network printer to the laptop so that I can print wirelessly from it. I get a variety of errors.
    Access denied.
    Windows cannot connect to the printer. Make sure you typed the name correctly.
    The Network name cannot be found.

I have tried adding the printer by "add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer" and the laptop sees the printers there but can't connect.

I have tried adding the printer by "add a local port" and then naming the port "Tom-PCLexmark E232" but cannot connect.

The interesting thing is that I can exchange files between the two computers with no problems. Printer and File sharing is turned on. Network Discovery is turned on.

I have searched all over the Internet for a solution, and am baffled.

My old desktop was named Tom-Desktop, and ran Windows XP, and I had these printers working perfectly by using the "add a local port" method, and those ports still exist, but since the new computer has a different name they won't work in this case.

I would surely appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Tom

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: problems connecting to printer (Vista)

On the desktop have you "Shared" the printer?

If not do the following:
    Right click the Printer icon, and select "Sharing". Select "Share this printer" and type a name that means something to you, OK yourself out.
    Now from the Laptop you should see this printer appear in the listing when you browse to the listing shown on the desktop. To see this listing, on the laptop , open Network, Tom-PC, the the Printer folder listed under Tom-PC. There you can right click the shared printer, and select Connect, the wizard will now find the drivers and the laptop should now have the printer.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave
    Sounds so simple, doesn't it. Trouble is, it's not working.

Yes, definitely, the printers are shared. (there are 3)
    Yes, they all show up in the items under Tom-PC ... on both the desktop and the laptop.

When I right click from the laptop, and select Connect I get "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name correctly, and that the printer is connected to the network"

When I try to add a printer from the printers folder on the laptop, and try to add a Network, wireless or Bluetooth printer, the printers all show there but when I try to add it I get the error "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name correctly, and that the printer is connected to the network" - same error as that above.

That's why I was trying the method that I found on the Microsoft site - Add a local printer, and then give it the name of the path plus the printer (e.g. Tom-PCLexmarkE232) but get the error "The network name cannot be found."

I don't get why none of the methods work.

Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Joe.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help.

Tom

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tom
    Do both computers have the same workgroup name (as they should)?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John
    Yes, they both have the same name. Both called MSHome.

The new desktop initially was named "Workgroup" which, I gather, is the default for Vista, so I changed it to match the latop which I have had for a year or so and its name was MSHome - set as such to match the old desktop which ran XP.

Tom

Administrator
    Thanks

Please read Troubleshooting file shares on a home network and post responses to the various tests. NOTE: there are some differences between Vista & XP so reviewing the Vista networking links first may shed some light.

Also, see Vista's Networking Central, A Reason to Reconsider and links on that page for more troubleshooting help.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe
    As you suggested, I first checked the Vista Networking material, and it appears to me that I have everything set properly.

Now, for responses to the tests material, please see attached text file...

Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Vista REQUIRES that a Password be used with networking.
    So,to test things, on one XP machine add a password to an account that is the same on the Vista machine.
    If this works for you, then you need to add passwords to the other accounts on ALL machines.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave
    Thanks for your reply.

Just seeking to understand here, so that I will know for future reference...
    If Vista requires that a password be used with networking, how come my network worked perfectly until I got a new computer - the old computer had XP on it, but I am no longer using it. The new desktop and my laptop both have Vista, with Service Pack 1.

Also, everything works perfectly on the network EXCEPT for the printer sharing. No problem accessing anything else on either computer.

Tom

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you ever been able to access a Vista machine from a XP machine?
    This includes printers and files.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, when my desktop had XP, and my laptop (that I still have) had Vista, the networking and file sharing worked perfectly. I could access with no problem at all.

It's only since I got this new desktop computer that has Vista on it that I have run into trouble - but, again, only with Printer sharing.

Tom

Administrator
    Thanks

Can you check the router configuration to make sure nothing related to file/printer sharing is disabled? Can you disable internet access at the router and then turn off the Windows firewalls and then try to configure a printer?

Have you disabled UAC?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I can't find anything in the Router configuration that disables File/Printer sharing.

I disabled Internet connection, then switched the Firewalls off and also disabled UAC.
    Same problem.

When I try to connect to the printer, I am told it's not accessible.

When I try to add a printer from the laptop, the printers on the Desktop show, but when I click on any of them I am told they aren't accessible...even though I can see them right there.

I'm wondering if I should maybe uninstall the printers from the desktop computer and then reinstall them, and see if that makes any difference.

I have spent so much time on this (probably at least 15 hours) and it's not fun anymore. I keep going around in circles.

Thanks for your persistence in trying to help. Wish I was getting somewhere, but I'm no further ahead than I was 2 days ago.

Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast