4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table structure (MSACCESS 2003)

I have three unrelated tables. They each have a name field. However each table is now required to handle up to three names. My instinct is to attach a further three tables, each being related to there tables. But at the same time I wonder if its the right direction, as there will never be more than three names in each table record. Am I going to come unstuck with queries if I just add further fields ie Name1, Name2, Name 3

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Table structure (MSACCESS 2003)

The proper design is to move all the names to related tables, but you can make Name1, Name2 and Name3 work if you really want to.

The queries can get more complicated because you need to look in three different fields.

Do the three names represent different roles? so that Name1 always represents a certain sort of person etc, or are they just 3 equivalent names?
    Regards
    John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table structure (MSACCESS 2003)

Thanks John. The three tables hold unique names being randomly entered. The first thing that goes through my mind is putting these names into a common list later for picking a name from in a form based query. I think it would all have to be done in code, and possibly put in a temporary table to be the recordsource of the list? Probably the same amount of work is in both directions, I am leaning towards related tables. As the three tables have unrelated primary/foreign keys a junction table is probably a no go.