Star Lounger
    Thanks

Viewing Computer contents with 'My Computer' (Win XP (all versions))

When I use the My Computer Icon so I can search the contents of various drives and folders on my computer it always opens with the "Folders" Option off.

What I'd like to do is set up a shortcut so when I begin to look for a file or folder the Folders are already listed on the left. I've grown weary of having to click the "Folders" button at the top every time I use "My Computer".

Any suggestions for how to make showing the folders the default option?

Thank you in advance.

Larry P

Thanks

Re: Viewing Computer contents with 'My Computer' (Win XP (all versions))

Larry,

Why not create a desktop shortcut to Windows Explorer?

Right click on the desktop, scroll to "new" and click shortcut.

You can use this as a shortcut that will open to an expanded explorer view of the C: folders.

<big>C:Windowsexplorer.exe /n, /e, C:</big>
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And if Bob's suggestion is not to your liking, what's wrong with just opening Windows Explorer with the Windows Key-E (Win-E) combination? It opens to My Computer in the left pane and the files window in the right pane.

Thanks

Or, (1) if you prefer to see the folders on the left all the time in all folders, you can change the default action of Windows when you double click a folder. Instructions as follows.

Open My Computer (or any folder), click on the Tools menu and select Folder options.... Click on the File Types tab and scroll down to highlight Folder (see left hand part of screenshot below). Click the Advanced button to get the dialog in the right hand half of my screen shot. Select Explore and click Set Default. (Greyed out in my screenshot only because it is already my default setting). Click OK several times to get all the way back out. If you decide you don't like it, you can always use the same method to changte the default back again to Open.

Or, (2) yet another option - right click the My Computer icon, and select Explore instead of Open.

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images