New Lounger
    Thanks

disabling user account control (home premium sp1)

Page 104 of Woody's 9 in 1 vista book has instructions that didn't work for me. The Start Search Box could not find secpol.msc . Does anyone else know how to get to the Microsoft System Policy Editor (Figure 2.4) or how other wise to do this without completely turning it off? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: disabling user account control (home premium sp1)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

I'm not too sure what you mean by "...without completely turning it off..." but if you don't already have it, you might want to get a copy of (free) WinBubble to see if it helps you:

WinBubble 1.76, "Customization and Tweaks, Not Just for Geek's But For ALL" - UnlockForUs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

If you complete disable UAC you'll end up running into problems later. Some software installs likely won't work properly. Some software may not work. After a fairly short initial period you should see very few UAC prompts. If you feel UAC is completely unacceptable after a couple of weeks (or so) then I'd recommend you use something like WinBubble that BigAL pointed out and set UAC for aministrators to "Elevate without prompting".

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Geez! It took just about forever to find this reply window. By not turning it completely off I meant by not going to the user accounts, my own user (admin) name, & clicking on that bottom button: turn user account control on or off. Fig 2-8,pg 110 from the 9 in 1 vista book. I want to get to Fig 2-5,pg 105. where I can choose elevate without prompting, but I can't get there because Woody's recomended secpol.msc search turns up nothing

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wow! Clicking that reply to this post button did not work at all for BigAl, but this time a box opened right up. Elevate without prompting is exactly what I'm trying to do, but I can't get to those security boxes. I took a look at winbubbles & don't know how to find what need there. Thank you though.

New Lounger
    Thanks

P.S. I get those UAC prompts all the time & its been more than a few weeks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stanka.
    The first thing I did was disable UAC .I have been running vista ult for 2 years this way and never had a problem.
    Take Big Als advice and play with win bubble and you won't be with out it.It makes using vista so much better!!
    You may also need to change the way vista informs you about security.

Gus..

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Here's a clip from the Security tab of Winbubble.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks

Your slow Lounge response is because you were accessing the Lounge during the server backup time. The server is backed up from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm EST daily. Response is very unpredictable during that time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Most users see a decrease in UAC prompts over time. If you do not then you must be installing/uninstalling more software than most or changing system folders or files. I can understand the frustration for experienced users. However, UAC is a valid warning and should be left enabled for most normal users. That is why I recommend that you use "elevate without prompting" instead. See Tim Sneath : Windows Vista Secret #4: Disabling UAC for more details about why it is a good idea not to completely disable UAC.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's been quite a while since I've last checked the lounge. All suggestions I received here did not work. I did select elevate without prompting & my computer is always warning me that I need to check my user account controls & I get that big red shield with an X on it icon, but I just close it & live with it.
    I've posted a new topic about screensavers, I hope someone can help me with it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='stanka' post='774949' date='12-May-2009 23:04']It's been quite a while since I've last checked the lounge. All suggestions I received here did not work. I did select elevate without prompting & my computer is always warning me that I need to check my user account controls & I get that big red shield with an X on it icon, but I just close it & live with it.
    I've posted a new topic about screensavers, I hope someone can help me with it.[/quote]

If you double click on the shield with the X the Windows Security Center should open. In the left hand column you should click on "Change the way Security Center alerts me". Then adjust the settings you wish to change.

Joe
    Joe