3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Combining several documents (2002/2003)

We have reports that contain several chapters/sections. When there are multiple authors, the author may copy out only the chapter/section that they need to edit. They may use Track Changes to edit the document. When all the chapters are returned to the support staff to put back into the original report, how do we put the document together and keep the track changes made from each individual document (if possible with the author's track changes comments)?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Combining several documents (2002/2003)

Do either of these links help?

Two ways to copy Revisions on Office Watch - http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?arti...44&zoneid=8

Shauna Kelly explains it more simply here - http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trackchang...ks.html#Copying
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the links. The information has been helpful.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have done this in the past by using Master Documents and Sub-Documents. You create the whole thing as a master document and then split off the separate chapters as sub documents that you send to the authors. When you have all the documents returned you open the Master Document - which collects them all together, and then convert it back to being an ordinary document again.

If you search the lounge you will see that there are risks with this approach, as Master Documents can become irrecoverably corrupt, but this has never been a problem for me as I keep many copies and simply revert to an earlier version.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with you that the Master Document feature is the way to go. We have had a some issues with the feature. We do also use the RD fields to generate the TOC from multiple chapters. This feature works well as long as the documents are not moved or renamed.

Thanks for the recommendation.