New Lounger
    Thanks

Visio Layer Colors (2002)

Hi All,

I have a diagram with many layers on it and want to highlight the shapes on a particular layer. If I change the color in the Layer Properties dialog the fill color changes to white and the line color the color I select.

Is there a way to be able to easily change the fill color for all shapes in a layer and then change them back to their default color?

Regards
    Ross

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Visio Layer Colors (2002)

Have you tried using styles? Perhaps you could apply a style to elements only on that layer and then change that style.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Andrew,

Styles are not something I have used in Visio before but I think I will be using them more in the future.

As my solution I have created two Styles, imaginatively named "Highlighted" and "Non-Highlighted" and by changing the style on the particular shapes in the layer all is good. The reason I have done this rather than as you suggested is that I have abpout 6 layers that I want to hightlight progressively so this appeared to be the best solution.

Can you recommend any good reference material on using Styles?

Thanks again
    Ross

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I can't recommend any sites specific to Visio Styles and think that they are straightforward enough not to have gone looking for further instruction - the bigger trick is knowing that they are actually available in the first place.

The Microsoft Visio MVPs site is a good place to start if you want to learn more about Visio. It seems to have plenty of links there and I have found little gems amongst the information you can find there.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia