New Lounger
    Thanks

Vista update affects Internet Explorer (Vista Home Premium SP1)

When I update Vista with Microsoft updates, Internet Explorer can no longer access any web site. The system is still connected to the internet because other applications can access internet data. I suspect an IE security change, but my research on the problem is not successful. I would appreciate any help you can give!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Vista update affects Internet Explorer (Vista Home Premium SP1)

I found the cause in this Microsoft post. Samantec is the culprit... singsing

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed"

SYMPTOMS
    Consider the following scenario. You install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 updat...Consider the following scenario. You install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update. Then, you start Windows Internet Explorer 7, and you try to visit an external Web site. In this scenario, you may receive the following error message:
    Webpage cannot be displayed

CAUSE
    This problem may occur because the file signatures for the core Windows Internet...This problem may occur because the file signatures for the core Windows Internet Explorer 7 files may be changed when the update is installed. If a third-party security program is installed on the computer, the security suite programs may not have the correct updates to recognize the updated IE files and may block Internet Explorer from accessing the Internet

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, contact the vendor of the third-party security program...To resolve this problem, contact the vendor of the third-party security program for an update. If an update is not available, try reinstalling the third-party security program. After you reinstall that security program, the updated Windows Internet Explorer 7 files may now be able to access the Internet.

For information about how to contact the vendor of the third-party security program, click the appropriate article number in the following list to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    65416 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/65416/ ) Hardware and software vendor contact information, A-K

60781 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60781/ ) Hardware and software vendor contact information, L-P

60782 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60782/ ) Hardware and software vendor contact information, Q-Z
    Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Vista update affects Internet Explorer (Vista Home Premium SP1)

Be aware that this will happen again. When Microsoft issues a security update for IE the update often changes the signatures that many third party firewalls depend on. You will have to re-authorize IE to access the internet.

Joe
    Joe