New Lounger
    Thanks

Slow Reponse - Form Fields Document (2003 SP3)

We have set up a very complicated 6-page document which uses over 300 form fields. The majority of the fields are checkboxes for yes, no, NA questions. There is quite a bit of programming behind the form mostly launched via On Exit properties of various fields. There are also quite a few hyperlinks using MacroButtons to various sites on the company's intranet.

Employees are instructed to copy the latest version of this form to their local drive and then fill it out. The form performed fine when I demonstrated it over the network, as well as locally for me and most of the employees. Tomorrow I have a meeting to troubleshoot why the form is performing very slowly at certain employees' computers.

There are numerous different manufacturers of computers being used throughout the company, and I'm assuming varying processing speeds/memory, etc. However, I believe they all use Windows XP.

What areas should I be looking at to answer/correct this issue on why the form performs fine on Computer A but supposedly drags considerably on Computer B? Are there certain settings within Word which could cause some of this? What about memory on each computer? Etc., etc., etc.

Thanks for any help/insight you can provide me on this.

TJ_Texas

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow Reponse - Form Fields Document (2003 SP3)

As a very simple check, have a look at Task Manager when you open this document. (Control-Alt-Del > Task Manager)

Click on the Performance Tab and look at CPU and Page File usage before and after you open the problem document. Compare these to a computer where there are no problems.
    If Page File usage increases when you open the Word document then you are short of memory.
    If CPU usage increases to a figure above about 75% when you open the Word document then switch to the Process tab, click on the CPU column twice to sort by CPU % decreasing and note how much of the CPU is being used by which processes.

StuartR

Thanks

If the form uses a template other than Normal, especially if it is on a remote drive, try making a local copy of the template and generating a new document from it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

UPDATE: Thank you for the replies.

The meeting has been rescheduled to next week. If I learn anything which might be helpful to others, I'll post back.

Thanks again,

TJ_Texas

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi TJ_Texas,

If any of your formfields are of the calculation type, and they're doing no more than cross-referencing other fields, you might get better performance by simply using standard cross-references (via Insert|Cross-Reference). Similarly, formula fields (typically created via Ctrl-F9) give less trouble than calculations done by calculation formfields, and may place less of a demand on the system.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Paul,

If by "calculation" type you mean I have activated "Calculate on Exit" - I do not have any calculation type fields.

As I mentioned in my initial post there is quite a bit of VB code behind this document (printed out is more than 50 pages).

- Some of the simpler coding could set the sub-questions to NA if they answer the main question No
    - In other areas the programming runs complicated formulas on data the user enters and inputs an answer in another field
    - Other coding hides/unhides items on an attachment list depending on answers to specific questions
    - Answers to various questions are automated (via programming) depending on the dollar value entered in one field (since Question 20 only needs to be answered if the value is >$6,000 the NA box is checked by code if the value is <$6,000)

While I hope to eventually clean up/streamlilne some of the programming, I'm tempted to follow the "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" theory. Hopefully I'll have a clearer idea what is needed after this meeting next week.

Thanks for your input!

Texas_TJ

New Lounger
    Thanks

UPDATE: It appears there was actually not a problem with the form, but a resistance to having to fill it out.

My apologies.

Ahhhhhhhhhh . . . ain't life grand.

Thanks again for the suggestions provided. At least I expanded my knowledge through this exercise.

Happy Holidays to All!

TJ_Texas