3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sending and replying (XP SP3)

I have Windows XP SP3 installed on two separate computers - and at home and one at work - and have begun in the last four weeks or so to have the same problem on both of these (which are not networked). It happens when replying to a message most often, but at times also occurs when sending a new message. This is the error message I receive:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I got AT&T support on the phone yesterday and after almost an hour of checking all the settings (in between the technician helping her other four calls and constantly forgetting which one she was replying to!), she said it has to be an OE problem and I would probably have to re-install OE; she then gave me two phone numbers, one for Microsoft and the other for some other AT&T tech. I have not called either number yet as I know I have to block a big chunk of time to do it. All the settings are the same on both computers and nothing the technician could find nothing wrong.

Since Microsoft performs automatic updates on the computers, I am never sure what they're installing, but it seems to me this all started around the middle of last mother, around the time they normally install updates. Has anyone experienced this problem? Can anyone suggest a fix? I don't know how much of a problem it will be to re-install just OE, which I believe is a part of IE7, right?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Sending and replying (XP SP3)

Outlook Error: (0800CCC0F) -- Web Hosting Help has a list of things which could cause the issue. Perhaps something will ring a bell.

You might check out Windows Live Mail - Overview. It is the follow on product for OE.

Joe
    Joe