2 Star Lounger
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Remove add-in toolbar in 2007 (Office 2007)

Wow, I haven't been to the Lounge in years, but I'm so glad you guys are still here when I need you!

Well, I dove in and created a 2007 Ribbon tab to replace my 2003 toolbar that is automatically put in the Add-Ins ribbon. It wasn't that hard (I've been doing a lot of authoring in XML lately, so that part was familiar). Everything is working, though I haven't gone to the trouble to make custom button images.

The thing I can't figure out, though, is how to make the Custom Toolbars group on the Add-Ins tab to go away! The client doesn't need to see both my custom Ribbon tab and the stuff on the Add-ins tab.

Either that's just not a common thing to do, or I can't figure out how to construct a search query (on Google or here) to find the answer. I can't find anywhere in Word to remove the stuff that is automatically included in the Add-Ins tab. I guess if I could go back to the 2003 template, I could delete the toolbar and then convert again to 2007 .dotm format. Unfortunately, I have made lots of mods in 2007 and that would be a lot of work.

Thanks for any help!

Bob Moon
    Writing Consultant / Word Template Designer
    Words Connect

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Remove add-in toolbar in 2007 (Office 2007)

You could try deleting the toolbar from the VBE, using a little bit of code or using the Immediate window. It's late to be writing that code here, but the general idea would be to use:

<code>CommandBars("Your Custom Toolbar Name").Delete</code>

You might need to set the CustomizationContext as well. For example, you could loop through the Add-ins collection and when you find the one with the right name, set it there. Then run the Delete.