3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Temporarily store data per user per session (2007 SP1)

Like many Databases, we have a Contacts database that has Companies with Staff who work for those companies. We do have many Mailing Lists setup, which everyone uses to send Mail Merges, but users would occasionally like to create a Mail Merge 'on the fly', ie, a one-off Merge.

Currently, they go to one Company and then Copy/Paste the Name/Address into Word; then go into another Company and copy/paste into Word, etc.

It would be ideal if they could click a Person in the Company and have the name & address transferred to a Temporary table, spreadsheet, etc, and then repeat this process until they've gathered all the Recipients in one List. Then, when Ready, they could save this Temporary Table or Spreadsheet for use in Word's Mail Merge.

Would this require complicated coding, or is there an easy way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Brian

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Temporarily store data per user per session (2007 SP1)

You shouldn't use any coding or temp table at all.
    You can add a yes/no field that the user can check if he want it in the mailing.
    Then Build a query to render all the checked records and use that query as source for the mail merge.
    Build an Update query to reset all the yes/no field to false once the mail merge is done
    Francois

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Francois for your reply.

It occurred to me that I could use Checkboxes, but I'm afraid users will forget to reset them. I'm also concerned that if 2 Users (or more) wanted to do this at the same time, they would both end up with mixed lists, ie, people in their Merge that are supposed to be in the other user's merge and vice versa.

I thought a temp table that dumped the data when the user closed their instance of the Database would avoid the above, or am I mistaken in my assumption that a Temp Table is per user per session?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have a split database design in which each user has an individual copy of the frontend database, users can save a temporary table in their own copy of the frontend.