Thread: Win2K Firewall?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win2K Firewall?

I upgraded an IBM ThinkPad for a friend of mine, from Win98 to Win2K. Installed AVG Free and ZoneAlarm firewall, ver. 7. No anti-malware yet. Got a notice today from ZoneLabs that an upgrade to ZA 8 was available, but when I went to perform the upgrade, was told it wasn't available for Win2K.

This laptop is going to someone who isn't particularly computer "savvy," so I'd like to get it setup with protection that is self-updating. Any suggestions as to what I should install?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Win2K Firewall?

Check out PC Tools Firewall Plus - Free Firewall Download. Don't know how good it is.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I have been using the PCTools firewall on an older machine (but XP, and up to date) and I recommend it.

Comodo is both free and by many accounts the best firewall to be had at any price, but you do have to be savvy to use it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Thanks for the info on the PCTools firewall.

According to Comodo Free Personal Firewall it is for XP & Vista only not Win2k.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

You need to get rid of Win2K. It is out of support from Microsoft and I do not know that they are still providing security fixes. Every month we get a slew of security fixes for WinXP. I can not believe that Win2K is not full of unpatched holes.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> You need to get rid of Win2K. <<

I'd love to, but the only supported OS's on this ThinkPad are Win98 and Win2K.

>> It is out of support from Microsoft and I do not know that they are still providing security fixes. <<

Microsoft just put out some new fixes this week for Win2K.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

If by 'supported' you mean by IBM, I doubt that they can have much to offer you on a computer that old anyway. I have a Dell Inspiron, originally Win 98 SE, that runs XP Pro and Office 2007 with additional memory and a (much) larger drive. The battery is dead and obsolete, so it has to be run connected.

Computers are now a commodity and the original cost of that was a fortune compared to the cost of a new and more powerful replacement. It's hard to part with something that cost so much, but I suggest you keep an eye on the market for changes like battery technology that aren't glamorous but that can be important.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> If by 'supported' you mean by IBM, I doubt that they can have much to offer you on a computer that old anyway. <<

On the contrary: the Lenovo site had a number of drivers, etc. for that model under Win2K. I made sure of that before I went looking for a Win2K Upgrade CD.

>> I have a Dell Inspiron, originally Win 98 SE, that runs XP Pro and Office 2007 with additional memory and a (much) larger drive.

I think you were very lucky that either a) that laptop didn't need any drivers not included in XP Pro, or that Dell had the drivers for that much of an OS upgrade.

>> The battery is dead and obsolete, so it has to be run connected. <<

Had no problem finding a new battery for the ThinkPad.

You have to remember, too, that this isn't my laptop. It belongs to a friend who wanted to see if it could be useful for a friend of hers, who has an even OLDER laptop with problems (a Pentium I, if I recall correctly). Her friend's computing needs will be easily met by this ThinkPad, now that it has more RAM, a better OS, and a new battery. The ThinkPad is built like a tank, too, compared to the current "thin and light" type laptops.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Point(s) taken. I was just worried that maintenance might turn into something that is not cost effective.

Mine is built like a tank too, and weighs it, and it has a lovely leather case on top of that.