4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keep Caption with Figure

Hi,

How can I force Word2000 to keep a Caption with the diagram/figure it is for. I am trying to avoid the scenario where the diagram sits at the base of a page and it's caption ends up on the next page.

Thanks,

m.q.

KTYorke

Re: Keep Caption with Figure

As close as I can remember W2K, I think it's the same with W97... Apply Keep With Next (Format>Paragraph>Line and Page Breaks)to the diagram/figure style. The style shouldn't be normal (NOTHING should just be normal) but specific for your diagrams/figures.
    have fun

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.
    I modified the Caption Style withe the "Keep with Next" option. But my captions are under my figures. So don't I need a "Keep with Previous"?!

Also when I tried this, it did not solve the problem. I am still having a figure (in this case a screen-shot) on the base of a page & it's caption is forced onto a new page.

Pls. advise me if I am making a mistake here.
    Thanks,

m.q.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Musab
    [img]/w3timages/icons/shy.gif[/img]I think this is a crude solution but why not group the picture and the caption together? Then at least the pagination issue reduces to only having to fit one object on the page.
    Silverback

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Grouping together sounds like an excellent solution; question is "how" ?

m.q.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry - I forgot to include instructions in original reply.
    Get the Drawing toolbar up in Word(View|Toolbars|Drawing)
    Select the picture using left click then select the caption using Shift and Left click.
    On the drawing bar, click on the down arrow next to the DRAW command, then select Group. Both items will be grouped together.
    If you have previously set Word Wrapping attributes for the picture (right click, format picture then the Wrapping tab) you may find that the grouped object suddenly jumps to another location. To get it back, find it (!) enter format object as described above, then click on the Position tab. Ensure the Float over Text box is checked. Then click on the wrapping tab and set your options. Finally, drag and drop the picture into position.
    Have fun.
    Silverback

KTYorke

whoops... I meant apply the Keep with Next to the screen shot. I'm assuming two things when I say this though... One, that you have inserted the shot using insert picture and two, that you have a set style for screen shots.

To quote a thread in the old-old lounge I believe, "If MS really loved me, there would be a Keep with Previous" I even forget who wrote it.

hope this clears up my earlier response
    have fun

KTYorke

Brian,
    Does this work if the caption is regular text? It looks like the caption would be in a text box in order to have it grouped like that. I have W97 here at work and couldn't group plain text with a drawing object, I was fairly certain it's the same way for W2k. I have no way of checking that until I get home though.
    have fun
    KT

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

KT
    I don't think so - to be honest, I've never tried it. I 'just assumed' that the caption had been added using Insert|Caption - because that's what I do. Sorry, I am new to the lounge and have to learn that everybody works in different ways and so any suggestions must not assume.
    [img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Silverback

Super Moderator
    Thanks

musab

You put a style on the graphic itself and use 'Keep with Next' on that paragraph instead of doing anything to the Caption style. The Caption style should NOT have 'Keep with Next' on.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia