3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Export report to Excel and format (2000/XP)

Having painstakingly created a report to mimic output previously typed into an Excel spreadsheet, I've now been told the output is also required in Excel.

I have exported queries/tables before using transfer spreadsheet and done some basic formatting (such a column A width = x, text= 12pt BOLD etc). This was a few good years ago thought.

Just wondering if someone has an example of doing this where their report includes group headings and the detail section may contain subreports.

Edit: Have had a quick look at report as exported fromt he file menu - it doesn't look 'too' bad. However, I have 2 major issues.

1. Text is truncated - huge problem as there is a memo sized 'remarks' column
    2. The second column contains text similar to 1/1, 1/1a, 1/2, 1/2a, 1/2c etc - the text without letters has turned into numbers e.g. 1/1 =39448, 1/2 = 39479, 1/3 = 39508 ???????

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Export report to Excel and format (2000/XP)

Thinks you may be up for quite a deal of VBA programming to do what you want.

With that text field you could create the illusion of a text field by appending a space to the end of that field in the access query.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think you'd be better off exporting a table or query, and modifying the resulting worksheet as needed.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's kind of what I'm after really.

I've tried various things and it almost looks ok with mimimal manual modification needed. Unfortunately, on closer inspection I've found on exporting a report with many subreports (each one as a column), the subreport data gets put in the same column in excel.

Fortunately, there are <500 records so even if I come up with some clunky inefficient code it shouldn't take too long to run it.

I think I need to do something with nested recordset loops, i.e first record, paste the columns into excel, move to query for 1st related table, paste data etc, somehow counting so I can move around cells in the worksheet using relative offsets.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Good luck! Feel free to ask questions if needed.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I don't think it's going to be as hard as I thought.

I found this https://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scrip...=47409&lngWId=1 and this http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/Database/Data-A...from-Excel-VBA/ pretty helpful.