3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Modified use of cell validation (Excel 2002)

I would like to use the convenience of data validation in entering text on cells of my worksheet. The list is composed of common prefixes. Since they are prefixes, some cell may require additional text, variable in nature. This not possible with data validation I suppose. There is a similar function "Pick from List" that would do what I want but the list will only be available if there are text entries above the cell that would hold the intended entry from the list above.

I know that the purpose of the validation is to maintain consistency and reduce error in data entry, that is partly accomplished by data validation but some cells require other variable data attached to it so I would like a combination of cell validation and Pick from List where cells could still be edited with addition text. Is this doable. Could somebody help please. Thanks in advance.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modified use of cell validation (Excel 2002)

I was looking at the validation detail setup of my worksheet and I found out that I also set a stop error syle alert message which is giving me the prompt restriction, so if I opted for warning or information as the style then it will allow me edit and add additional text on the cell after selection from the drop down list. I guess that answered my problem. Sorry for posting and answering my own question.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modified use of cell validation (Excel 2002)

No need to apologize! It might well solve someone else's problem.