2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WordArt font sizes (MS Word 2003)

Hi all,

I guess this could've gone in the VBA section but i will try here first! I have a document with some wordart shapes and I am trying to simply change the text within them. The wordart shapes themselves should have a fixed size and a fixed font size.

I hadn't manipulated Wordart shapes using VBA before but having had my first experience, I am a bit confused. The reason is that when I change the text using something like (forgive me I don't have the code in front of me): ActiveSheet.Shapes(myShapeName).Fill.TextEffect.Te xt = "myText", the size of the shape and the fontsize seem to vary hugely depending on the length of the "myText" string. If the string is only one character, the fontsize on the screen looks huge, but when I select it on-screen and choose "Edit Text..:" from the context menu, the font size is indeed what I set in the code. So regardless of the fact the fontsize property is always constant, the actual size on the screen varies hugely depending on the text I enter. The same goes for the size of the shape itself.

So now I have no idea how to fix the position, size and font-size of the wordart shapes without screwing up the whole appearance of the thing by simply changing the text!

Help?!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WordArt font sizes (MS Word 2003)

I have some VBA code that manipulates WordArt.

I use a fixed font size of 36 (because this makes no difference to anything) and I set the height and width of the WordArt object itself to control the size of the characters.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hmm ok I will give that a go - but I thought I had tried that and none of the settings seemed to make any difference.. will let you know how things turn out

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

well, this didn't work because there seems to be no relation between the size of the box and the size of the text and any of the settings I make in the VB. It just seems to have a life of its own! The only thing I could do is to pad my text with spaces to keep the size down - and even this wasn't straight forward because spaces are narrower than other characters, so I had to pad with more spaces (i.e. greater total length) if the text wasn't very long and pad with fewer spaces if the text was longer.

Lovely workaround.. I am ashamed of it though!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have always found that setting the .Height and .Width of the WordArt changes the size of the characters to fit the size I allocate.

StuartR