3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Column width (Word 2003)

I have a Word template I am using to create questionnaires. The template has 2 columns, the left one is English and the right one Arabic (right-to-left). Each column contains a series of labels each followed by a bookmark.

My program takes a list of the bookmarks, retrieves data from our HR database based on the bookmark name then jumps to the bookmark position and inserts the text.

My problem is this; sometimes the text to be inserted is longer than the space between the bookmark and the centre of the column causing Word to move it to the next line. This causes the format of the questionnaire to skew and become misaligned.

Is there any way to determine the maximum number of characters that will fit between the end of the bookmark and the column centre? Iíve already tried to decrease the font size and while that helps there are still instances of overflow. If I decrease the font size any more then the questionnaire will become unusable.

As always, any help will be gratefully accepted.

Regards,
    Kevin Bell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Column width (Word 2003)

You might use a table with two columns instead of using text columns. Each question would be a row in the table. That way, text wrapping to the next line wouldn't misalign the questionnaire.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Column width (Word 2003)

Thanks for the suggestion Hans. I will probably use that method if I do anything like this again.

I ended up creating a list of the bookmarks and their associated labels. then by plugging the column width into a VB .NET program and a lot of 'tweaking' I was able to calculate if the text to insert was too long for the line. Fortunately the actual data only contained a few (under 10) items that actually overflowed. I would not however, recommend this as a solution. Anybody facing the same problem, use Hans' method. You'll have a lot more hair left afterwards.

Regards,
    Kevin Bell