Thanks

Document exhibits variable page length (XP/2002)

I have been puzzled by the following scenario, which makes me doubt what I have believed ever since the beginning of Word.

I put a Word document with hard page breaks onto our website, and someone who has downloaded it says that, in two instances, one or two lines have gone onto the next page, resulting in a five-page document instead of the expected three fairly-full pages (which is how it shows on my PC).

I thought the top and bottom margin information was held in the document, and so this overflow should not occur on any PC, if the original document was correct?

Thanks!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document exhibits variable page length (XP/2002)

I think Word adjusts the document for the printer, and there is also an option in the Print tab of Tools | Options to "Allow A4/Letter paper resizing".
    So if the user has different print/paper settings than you, this may affect pagination.
    A possible workaround is to place hard page breaks well before the end of the page, so that the text will fit on the page even for users with different print/paper settings.
    Or create a PDF document and place that on the website.

Thanks

I would agree with you about the possibility that different default/selected printers might change the vertical layout, but are you saying that the document might also be affected by differences in the Normal.dot template between PCs?

I doubt very much that the "Allow A4/Letter paper resizing".option will apply, since 'everyone' will have A4 paper size.

Unfortunately the document needs to be filled in, which scuppers the logical 'provide it in PDF format'...
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The page size in Normal.dot won't affect documents (each document stores its own page settings).

My guess is that the non-printable margins of the default printer cause the problem - these margins vary significantly between printers.

Thanks

Thanks, Hans, that's very likely because her default printer is an inkjet and mine's a laser.
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Indeed, inkjet printers usually have a relatively large non-printable bottom margin, typically about 0.45" but sometimes up to 1", while that for a laser printer is generally much smaller, around 0.17".

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The growth from 3 to 5 pages could easily happen if you use a hard page break at the bottom of the page and the new machine/printer squeezes just enough lines to put that break onto the next page (which may only have one or two lines on it before it then hits the page break.

For this reason, it is good practice to avoid the use of hard page breaks and make use of the Keep with Next paragraph settings instead. This is far more flexible and allows for much subtler adjustments on repagination.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia