Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Finding 'Registry' (Vista Home Premium)

Hello All,
    Does anyone know what folders or files the "registry" is (hidden) in? Or is it only possible to enter this forbidden land through "RegEdit"? If it s in some folder somewhere i then could possibly "take ownership" so i could delete some "restricted Keys" that so far have resisted any attempt to change ownership. Regards Plain(or is it pain?) Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Finding 'Registry' (Vista Home Premium)

The "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" part of the registry is stored in a file named ntuser.dat in C:Users<username>. It is marked as hidden and system, so you ordinarily don't see it in Windows Explorer.
    You should not under any circumstances try to manipulate this file directly in any way. Always use RegEdit or a similar tool. If you cannot edit a key using RegEdit, you're not supposed to do so.
    Other parts of the registry are stored in different files, in other locations, but the same holds for them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

If you run Regedit as Administrator, you should be able to use find the key in question then right click and use the Permissions dialog to take ownership.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,
    Thanks , (DUH) Keep forgetting to do that! Regards
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

HansV,
    You wouldn't happen to know the "Other" one's hiding places too? HKLM, HKU, HKCR, ? Regards
    PlainFred

Administrator
    Thanks

See Windows Registry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a more complete explanation.

I strongly echo Hans' thoughts about editing any of the files directly. DO NOT DO IT.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I know, in C:WindowsSystem32Config, but be very careful - don't mess with the files in that folder!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,
    Thanks for the link, looks like i'll be spending some time reading that one! Regards
    PlainFred

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    Thanks for the advice, but "messing" with these things is what i do for good or bad. It's how i learn. ( i also have "ERUNT" http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ and Acronis TI-11 8101) On a separate hard drive, I'm not that crazy!? Regards
    PlainFred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's your PC, and you can do with it as you please, of course.

(Although I consider myself to be reasonably proficient with Windows, and use RegEdit without fear, I would never even consider manipulating the registry files directly.)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

HansV,
    All i'm trying to do "if i could take ownership of the whole folder" so i wouldn't have to do each "key" ( changing permissions) when using RegEdit . I do respect both you and joe's advice, as you both have helped me immeasurably in my quest to understanding this "PC" thing! Regards
    PlainFred

Administrator
    Thanks

Because the Registry is such a special beast I'm not sure that taking ownership of the folder will do you any good. As you can see from the Wikipedia article the Registry is not just one file. Also, you can apply permission to keys in the various sections. I don't know if the usual rules on permission inheritance apply. You can certainly try changing permissions at the file level and let us know.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

You probably should not have taken ownership but instead should have given your userid the permissions you need. My guess would be that the system needs ownership of some things. You could try booting to the Last Known Good Configuration.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,
    Hello, First i would like to mention the article by "Fred Langa" in this weeks "windows Secrets" (paid version) on "How to delete un-deletable registry entries" Seems like he was reading my (small) mind! I have since tried to "group take control" of each of the hives "permissions". Enter RegEdit then click on a selected "Hive" then click edit,and change the owner. Option two, I tried to take ownership of everything on my "C" drive using Winbubble's right click "context tool"( "take ownership of file or folder") Took about an hour, For right now i can not say definitively whether or not either of these worked, as the second option "hosed my PC" I'll post back when i can get back to where i was before my "recovery! Regards
    PlainFred

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,
    You are correct (once again) my "hind-sight" is once again 20/20. I have restored but had to use an "image" that had most of the "stuff" i've previously eliminated! Oh well back to square one (this time with more knowledge) Backup, backup, backup! I'll post back on my "banishing bits of my "OS" and my registry exploits, when i have anything that could be of use to anyone else. Regards
    PlainFred