2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using old PC to manage legacy devices?? (Vista Business 64-bit)

I have installed Vista Business 64-bit operating system on a new PC. I cannot find drivers for that operating system for an Epson Stylus Photo 960 printer or for 5400C-series HP Scanner. Is it possible, and how difficult, to use my old PC running XP-SP3 to manage these devices? Is it possible to have the printer appear as a remote device to the Vista-based PC? and to receive scanned items into the Vista machine? Would I have to use some remote-control software to do that, or is there some other method?

THanks for any help that you can offer.

Bob Chapman

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Using old PC to manage legacy devices?? (Vista Business 64-bit)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 18-Dec-08 20:52. )</P>We have current 1 XP machine with a printer, at one time we had 2 XP machines each with a printer shared so our Vista machine could use them.

The Printers are a HP Lazerjet 2100 and HP Deskjet 1220c and both work just great from the Vista machines.

Edit
    The scanner can not be shared as far as I know.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

When you shared the XP printers to the Vista PC, did you need to load Vista drivers on the Vista PC?

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

No, the trick is to use Windows Explorer on the Vista machine, Browse to the XP machine with the Printer, find it (the printer) and then right click and select "Connect". The connection will ask and/or tell you what it is doing and if needed click OK. It has been a LONG time since I did this.

We found this to work, during "Beta" as there were NO drivers for most of any of the printers at that time.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The most convenient approach might be to set up a home network, of which this would be the most basic and inexpensive of all home networks, and then ship all of your print (and other) jobs to the networked computer that supports the peripheral you happen to need. Every piece of legacy hardware you have, computer included, will not go to waste until its day is done, and the jobs themselves will not be consuming resources on your main computer.

I think this was a common practice in earlier days when memory was scarce and everything was so much more expensive. They let the second computer carry some of the load (at the expense of using electricity).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Peter.
    Do I need special software on the "peripherals PC"? I don;t see how one would trigger the scanner, for example, to start processing a batch of scans.
    Bob

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You do require the trappings of the network itself, which is straightforward and inexpensive.

The simplest is to go to the old machine, which is part of the network, use it as you always have, and then send the resulting scan or other file(s) by network to the new machine, or retrieve it from the old when at the new. This does require that it is set up 'as always', just when you thought you could put it in mothballs and start scavenging.

Remote Desktop, a feature that I think was introduced by LapLink but is now a part of Windows XP Pro and Vista, may be of some interest to you as well. With this you can be in a different city and use your home computer remotely.

Here is a link to an explanation of Remote Desktop for XP_Pro and here is a link for Vista. Google either term and you'll get lots of hits and advice.

I must report one really unfortunate caution about networking computers that may have the same software. Ownerships change, the EULA may change, and certain software companies are remotely disabling software if more than one installation is detected. One preventive is to have only one computer turned on or connected to the LAN when the LAN is connected to the WAN. (LAN = local area network, WAN = wide = internet)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Peter. I'll give it a try.
    Bob

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I missed one obvious and even less-complicated possibility. You can collect files for printing, or scan results for transfer, and physically transport things from one computer to another using a flash drive.