Thread: flv viewer?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

flv viewer?

Secunia scrambled my system. I followed the suggestion about upgrading Adobe and now the flv player won't work.

I get a message saying it can't find the Shockwave player, which I've downloaded and installed.

I think I read somewhere that the latest version isn't compatible with my system (Windows XP).

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on how to restore the viewer.

Thanks.

Neal

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: flv viewer?

You could try uninstalling the Shockwave player (through the Add or Remove Programs control panel) before reinstalling it (from Adobe - Adobe Shockwave Player).

By "flv player", did you mean Adobe's Flash Player (which works only in the browser), or a third-party stand-alone flv player?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Was it the Adobe Media Player, if it was you can download it from http://www.adobe.com/products/mediaplayer/

The system requirements show it will work on Windows XP with Service Pack 2

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Happy New Year!

You make excellent points, as usual.

I did mean Adobe Flash Player. But I also meant BitComet's offline flv player too.

I followed your suggestion about uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Shockwave and Flash Player, and they are both working online. I can play videos, e.g., YouTube, again. Thank you.

However, offline, I'm still getting the missing Shockwave prompt and I can't play videos.

Would Adobe Media Player solve this? Does it work offline? If so, is it worth ignoring the very scary (to me) message about the potential liberties it could take with my system while online that appears every time I start to install it?

Thanks.

Neal

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think Adobe Media Player is meant for offline content.

You might try the free FLV-Media Player. "It supports all current FLV- and H.264-FLV video formats and it doesn't require a pre-installed Adobe Flash OCX Plugin."

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS