Thread: ActiveSync

New Lounger
    Thanks

ActiveSync

I need to synchronise my XDA mobile with Outlook 2007 on a home computer and an office computer (necessary because they are 300 miles apart). This is so that I can have the Calendat and Contacts always available. (I am not attempting to synchronise the inbox on either computer).

The office computer connects through a LAN to an Exchange server and I have successfully synchronised this with my XDA. The computer at home connects to the same server through a VPN on my wireless network. When I try to establish a synchronisation relationship with the home computer, it does not offer me the chance to select Contacts, or Calendar for Synchronisation. This means that I cannot synchronise my calendar when I am away from the office.

I believe that it may be because I am linking to the same server from both computers, but I'm not sure if the synchronisation will pick up the server information when I use the home machine. Could I simply set up a basic synchronisation and let the calendar and contacts be picked up directly from the server, rather than from the local copy? If I do, would I need to specify anything in particular in the set up Wizard? I don't want to try this if I might lose all the data that are already synchronised as I am away from the office machine for some time..

Thanks

Re: ActiveSync

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 24-Dec-08 08:16. )</P>Are you sync'ing directly to the Exchange Server for calendar/contacts? In that case, I don't think you can sync to Outlook for those folders. Can you try configuring to sync to Outlook rather than directly to Exchange? (There might be a serious risk of duplicate entries in this scenario.)

Edit: I think I read your question backwards. You certain can switch to over-the-air or USB-over-the-wire sync to Exchange server, as long as your IT supports it (usually if you have Outlook Web Access, then Exchange ActiveSync will work). This probably will clear your device, so you would want to sync back to your office first.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your helpful comments, which have made me realise I need to clarify a little more.

I am using the Outlook client on both computers, not OWA (I've found OWA very limiting). I am not sure whether my synchronisation with the office machine is a synchronisation with its local folders or directly with the Exchange server (I'm away from the office at the moment, so can't check). However, the attempt to set up a partnership with the home machine offers a few Outlook folders for synchronisation plus Contacts and Calendar on the exchange server - the latter presumably available because I am connecting directly to the server through my VPN. On the face of it, the easiest thing ought to be to check the boxes to synchronise Calendar and Contacts directly with the Server. I am just concerned that this might affect whatever I have set up on the office machine. (Home and Office are on opposite sides of the country, which makes it impossible to dash back and forth to check settings!).

If I am offered Exchange Server folders to check in the synchronisation Wizard, do you think it is safe to check these without running any risk of upsetting my office partnership?

Thanks

Sorry for the delay, forgot to visit this forum.

Assuming your office configuration is Outlook talking to Exchange Server, then I would expect the content to be the same whether you sync to the mailbox via Outlook or directly to Exchange. However, it is strange that you have a mix of different settings. I think you should make a good backup before experimenting.