Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shut down problem

Hi, I don't know that anyone out there will be able to help me with this, but, nonetheless, I punt. I have a Dell computer XPS 400, with Windows XP. I came into my computer this morning to a blue screen with the following messages:
    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
    Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.
    If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware of software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or diable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
    Technincal information:
    *** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00AA2501, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0XB9D366F7)
    *** NDIS.sys - Address B9D366F7 base at B9D1D000, Date Stamp 48025d03
    Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

I am not aware of having loaded anything recently or of any new hardware. A few months ago I loaded McAfee Security. I do have two granddaughters who use this computer on occasion and could have downloaded something. I was hoping pehaps the DRIVER message or the Technical information section may be a clue to someone what the problem could be. Of course, it's just gibberish to me.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,

Lana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shut down problem

I've moved your question to the XP board since that's what you're running. Take a look at this sample thread for a possibility of bad RAM, need for an updated driver, etc. It may take some work on your part (or a shop technician) to "detective" this one:

Microsoft: Windows XP Pro - DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the problems occurs just once, I wouldn't be overly worried - some program crashed in a bad way and took down Windows with it. If it starts to occur more often, it's different though; I'd investigate the link posted by bigaldoc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans & Big Al,

Thanks for your responses. As you suspected, Al, it was waaaaay over my head. Just reading the thread gave me a headache. I called Dell to see what they had to say and, would you believe, my warranty (3 years) is good until May 4 of this year so I really lucked out. After updating drivers, backing up all the files, reloading something from the internet, using a disk I had here to reload the operating system, then having them send me new disks to use, they finally sent new memory, processor and mother board out to a technician who took two days and yet more new parts to get it up and working. Then I had to reload the system, all the programs, my office, photoshop, etc., etc., etc. Couldn't tell you how many calls I made (probably like 15) and never once got the same 'help desk' person. What a time. However, all is now well. Computer running like a charm. I appreciate always having you guys out there when I am stumped. Thanks again.

Lana