Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Freeze Panes - top rows hidden (2003)

Hi All,

Freezing panes is a great tool if you want to keep the top rows (or left columns) from scrolling - for example, it allows you to keep column headings visible while scrolling thru rows of a data base.

I've notice something that I'm not sure is a design feature (couldn't find any explanation of it) or a bug.

Suppose I have my column headings in rows 6-7 while rows 1-5 have some generic information. I scroll my window so that row 6 is at the top of the window; rows 1-5 are not visible. Now I go to freeze my frame vertically so that row 8 is the first one to scroll. When this is done, I can no longer scroll up to rows 1-5. If my window has row 8 right below row 7, the vertical scroll bar is at the top; if I scroll down, row 9, 10, etc become the row under 7. But no way can I get back into rows 1-5. They also do not appear to be hidden rows as unhiding rows has no effect.

Bug or feature? (If necessary, I can attach a screen shot but I'm hoping the above explanation of this is sufficiently clear.)

Of course, if I wanted to see rows 1-5 along with 6 and 7, I could have positioned my window so that they were visible when I froze the panes. This would decrease the number of scrollable rows that I could see at once in a window; hence I positioned the window as described. I just found it somewhat odd that it works this way.

TIA

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Freeze Panes - top rows hidden (2003)

I'd say it is a feature. Freeze panes means that you can't scroll the rows above the horizontal separator line (if present) or the columns to the left of the vertical separator line (if present).
    If you need to be able to scroll each part of the window separately, use Window | Split instead of Window | Freeze Panes.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Fred

Further to Hans' comment; If you want to get into those hidden rows on an occasional basis I would recommend opening a second window (Window > New Window), which will not have the split. When you are finished, be careful which one you close first. If you close the split version first you will not be cautioned to save it,
    Regards
    Don

Thanks

If you want to be able to view on occasions, set the freeze pane with them visible and then manually hide the rows and columns. It will then have the same view as with them frozen off-screen. But this way has the "advantage" of being able to see them later, on occasion, by unhiding them

Steve

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Even better than your suggestion Steve is to group the rows above the frozen row. Then all you need to do is expand/collapse the group with the +/- sign for easier access to those rows.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    Rudi

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Steve, Don, Hans,

Thanks for the replies. Some good suggestions.

There are a few rare times that I do want to see the rows that were "above" the column headings that I can't scroll to. I've been just unfreezing the pane for now. Given your suggestions, I'm not sure which way would be the easiest to get at those rows and then back to maximum view of the rows below the column headings. Possibly using split rather than freeze may be the answer.

Thanks again.

Fred

Thanks

An excellent suggestion...

The use would depend on who has access to the file and if you want them to have access to the rows. Your way is best for easy access and they are less obviously hidden. What the OP noted would make them more hidden from the more casual user even if they attempted "unhiding them". Hiding the rows is more in the middle, the rows are less obviously available but unhiding pulls them out easily into view

Steve

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rudi,

I think I like your suggestion best. Since I'm the only one using the file, it's not a problem as to user level. In fact, I do this on another worksheet I have for almost the same reasons so I should have thought of it for here.

Thanks.

Fred