Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

X-ref in multipage memo template (2003 SP3)

I'm building a template for a multipage memorandum. This type of document uses no letterhead, but the first page is different from the second and later pages. The first page displays certain distinctive items in the main body. The "office symbol" (merely a mail-routing device) sits flush-left and the date flush-right on the first line. A couple of lines below and flush-left is the "subject" line. Thus you have the following:

<font face="Georgia">RCTNG-DD</font face=georgia> (the office symbol) <font face="Georgia">23 December 2008

SUBJECT: Annual Report</font face=georgia>

The second and later pages use the header to display exact copies of the office symbol and subject. I aim to create a template that the office worker can use to create a new document by entering their own office symbol and a new subject. On the first page, where the office symbol appears, I placed a macrobutton field:

{ MACROBUTTON NOMACRO ENTER OFFICE SYMBOL }

Of course, the user sees only ENTER OFFICE SYMBOL. They click and enter the office symbol. The font for this field is set to ALL CAPS. I also made this item a bookmark: "ofc_symbol".

I took the same approach with the SUBJECT line. The user sees CLICK TO ENTER SUBJECT, and it's bookmarked.

Now on to the header on page 2. In the finished document, the header should display two lines:

<font face="Georgia">RCTNG-DD
    SUBJECT: Annual Report</font face=georgia>

In the template, the first line is a cross-reference to the bookmark, "ofc_symbol." The second line displays "SUBJECT:" (static text), followed by a cross-reference to the bookmark, "subject." You old Word professionals probably see the problem I'm about to describe. I'm getting <font face="Georgia">"Error! Reference source not found."</font face=georgia>

I've attached the template (changed the file extention to DOC, of course). Will appreciate your suggestions and tips. Feel free to comment on other features of the template if you like. Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: X-ref in multipage memo template (2003 SP3)

The macrobutton field and the bookmark are overwritten by the text entered by the user, i.e. the bookmark is deleted.
    You could use a Fill-in field instead and bookmark that. The user can enter a new text by clicking in the field and pressing F9. This will update the field but not delete it, nor delete the bookmark.

You might also consider using form fields from the Forms toolbar; this requires that you protect the document for forms when the design is finished.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: X-ref in multipage memo template (2003 SP3)

A-ha! I understand. I like the latter idea (form fields). That should be easier for the user, and I certainly want to make this template easy to use!

Thanks again, Hans! I wish you a happy holiday, whatever your traditions may be! Same to all the other moderators and users who contribute so much to this great forum!