Thanks

Drive letters lost (Vista Ultimate)

I resized my "C" partition today. That went fine.

But when I went into Disk Management, the drive assignments for my removable drives are gone - no letters.

But when I try to assing them a letter I get the error below. And I did re-boot (twice) to no avail.

What caused this, and, more importantly, how can I fix it?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Drive letters lost (Vista Ultimate)

Did you run Disk Management console with elevated Administrator rights?

(Click Windows logo in the lower left corner, in Search box type <font face="Georgia">diskmgmt.msc</font face=georgia>, when diskmgmt.msc appears in Search Results, right-click it and from pop-up menu select "Run as Administrator".)

Thanks

Yes.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

What tool did you use to resize your partition?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Acronis Disk Director.

Since Joe, I have been able to restore from a backup.

Interesting thing though: I had just upgraded to Acronis' 2009. Well, I'm not sure whether the new version doesn't read old backups right or what, but it blew out my partitions totally, and I had to rebuild them (using the older version of True Image).

I kept getting errors with the new version on it not being able to read the last "segment"...but the older version read it fine. I'll be on their BBS tomorrow.

Merry Christmas y'all.

Chuck

Thanks

Chuck,
    Taking a minute before we are off to see the family.
    I don't think Acronis 2009 ( True Image ) would have anything to do with the partitioning problem or Drive letter assignments. It will image copy whatever is on the drive and that's that. That being said, I had posted my latest opinion of Acronis 2009 as not being ready for prime time and having lots of unfixed bugs. Being a beta tester did not improve my opinion of 2009. I received a free copy for the beta testing but I won't use it unless they come out with a major updatefix.

Now, DD 10 is a solid program and if you are just doing a partition re-size, it should work fine.
    Have you tried to assign proper drive letters using DD? ( not Windows Disk Management )

Go to the upper DISK drop down toolbar, click on advanced and then change drive letters. Of course after making ANY changes with DD, you have to remember to click on the "commit" checkered flag to actually make the changes stick.

Merry Christmas.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Bob:

Merry Christmas to you and your's as well!

Since I already recovered from an old image, it's too late to try other ways to fix the issues. But:

I don't believe TI had anything to do with my lost drive letters. It did however trash my partition table.

The backup I have (of my active "C" partition) was made with TI 11. When I tried to recover it with TI 2009 is when I got the error that it couldn't find the segment or some such. When I came out of the program, I had no partitions on my drive, just unallocated space.

So I went back to my v11 and it then recovered fine.

There is obviously so issues remaining with this version of TI.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Thanks

Chuck,

One of the big problems is that TI 2009 is NOT backward compatible with TI Ver. 11. Backup images made with either one would not work using the newer or older versions images.

Beta testers have been complaining about this but Acronis chose to ignore this and other suggestions. Unfortunately, Acronis has been very unresponsive both in their regular support and to beta testers.
    Combine that with the complete crash and VERY slow recovery of their website recently and it does not make for happy campers among the users.
    A new CEO recently elected by Acronis MAY improve things but we will have to wait and see.

At any rate, glad to see you are back on track.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck,
    Hello, have to echo what bob has stated, (about TI-2009) however Acronis states that 2009 is backward compatible (for one version only) to TI-11, dont know which version probably build 8101. From reading the posts on wilders security forum http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65 It seems that all versions are "case by case sensitive" (hardware, system etc.) I use TI-11 and do not have any problems except for some "small bugs" Have done Many, Many, Many, "Full Image Recoveries" (if you read any of my posts you will understand) You can also receive a "refund" from Acronis, many have done so with 2009. I also have 2009 but wont install it until they work out some of the more serious "bugs" Best bet is to stay with what works! and read the forums postings before you purchase. Seems that all "imaging " software have their share of problems also. Regards
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

An image is an image. No matter what its file size may be, as far as I know when you restore an image it must be to a drive or a partition that is precisely the same size (or possibly larger) as the drive from which you created the image. Partition resizing and image restoring don’t mix.

The problem with Microsoft’s own image backup in Vista Ultimate is that it is all or nothing: it will not allow you to image one or more partitions, as Acronis will. It requires you to image the entire drive (or drives, for all I know), which in one case of mine is a single 600 GB hard drive.

For those who still have it, Acronis 10 [build 4942] works perfectly well on my Vista system, but it may require sufficient resources.

The only thing I can think of for your original question is an installation problem. Did you uninstall the old and install the new, or was it an upgrade? If you do uninstall, I find that Revo is very helpful.

Thanks

Peter:

In reverse:

My Vista (Ultimate) and my Acronis 2009 installs were both clean, not upgrades.

On the Acronis board I found several "complaints" about 2009, with the advice to stick to the "old" version.

Acronis, in my experience, will "grow" to fit a larger partition. I never tried "shrinking" one.

Restoring the image to a re-sized partition worked fine with the older TI, but not at all with the more recent 2009.

Regards,
    Chuck

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I have no complaint with any of that, from which my only point is that if you try to shrink to a smaller partition, it won't work, or shouldn't.

I lost one drive letter myself on one occasion, and may try to look it up to see if that will help with your original question. Here it is, but it may not help much: <post:=739,586>post 739,586</post:>.

Thanks

Thanks Peter.

Regards,
    Chuck

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>peterg wrote:
    The problem with Microsoft’s own image backup in Vista Ultimate is that it is all or nothing: it will not allow you to image one or more partitions, as Acronis will. It requires you to image the entire drive (or drives, for all I know), which in one case of mine is a single 600 GB hard drive.<hr>
    Oh contrare... Vista's "CompletePC Backup" gives you the option to backup individual partitions as well an entire hard drive. I do this regularly and it restores without hassle too. In fact, "CompletePC Backup" also allows for "bare metal" restoration, i.e., you can restore your image to another machine with different hardware, which is a definite plus, in my book.

Personally, in addition to using Vista's "CompletePC Backup", I use Acronis True Image Echo Workstation with the Universal Restore add-on which I have scheduled to do a daily backup of my C: drive (Vista) and a weekly backup of my F: drive (XP). It too has the ability to do "bare metal" restores.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Pilgrim, that is great news to me. I balked at the splash screen and early screens, which describe the function as 'complete PC backup', which seems to imply that it is all or nothing.

I'll give it a few more tries, since I really want to use it. If you have any tips, feel free to pass them along.