5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

speed of DVD Burner

I just bought a new DVD burner. I have two systems (identical) they are Dell 4600s. I kind of use one as a backup. The backup system does not have a DVD burner - thus my reason for buying a new one. Should I swap the burner from the primary Dell 4600 and put the new burner in it. The new burner is a SONY DVD + - R 20x. The old DVD burner is an HP dvd writer 530i. What truly controls the speed of a "burning process"? Both Dell 4600s are running Windows XP - the primary system has 2.5 GB RAM memory and the backup system has 1 GB of RAM memory. Thanks for you input.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: speed of DVD Burner

I think if you're up to the task of doing so, i.e. drivers, case opening, etc., I would put the new one in your primary system for two reasons: 1) it's new; 2) the primary has more RAM. As I don't know the gaiting factors for DVD speed aside from the DVD's ROM, I would think that the additional RAM would help boost your playing or burning software's ability to process data with less buffering or waiting. Good luck with it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: speed of DVD Burner

Hi Bigaldoc, I had already did what you suggested. New DVD burner is working fine. Old DVD burner is working fine in the secondary system. I agree that the additional RAM should have an impact on burning speeds.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.