Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

pass-through domain checker

http://askwoody.com/ The current posting (More than 1,000,000 ways to infect your computer Posted by woody on 24 December 2008 - 18:10:22) contains details of a sort of under-the-covers method of computer infection.
    Woody's posting links to a blog, which itself warns you "THIS PORTION IS FOR PROFESSIONAL SECURITY FOLKS ONLY. IF YOU FOLLOW THESE LINKS YOU *WILL* INFECT YOURSELF! USE CAUTION!".

I'm not that brave.

I have attached a PrtScr snapshot of the daily Google Alert I received this day.

The snapshot shows two links.
    Clicking on the upper link leads me to a web site whose domain is begun by "www.whitepages.com.au"
    Clicking on the lower link leads me to a web site whose domain is begun by something that looks distinctly un-national, let alone un-Australian.
    So waddya know. I clicked on both links and got a pop-up telling me that my computer was infected. I resisted further demands for action and shut down Firefox.

How do I know the links were good/bad? Later on I right-clicked and chose "Copy Link Location", pasting both links into Notepad, which you see as an insert in my image.

Why this post?
    It seems to me that a neat add-on for Firefox (or any other browser) would be a pass-through domain checker, such as we employ to filter spam mail.
    I would whitelist any url which began "http://www.whitepages.com.au", and leave all others blacklisted until deemed safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (57.3 KB, 1 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: pass-through domain checker

It may be either old age or paranoia on my part, Chris, but somehow with my browser only, I picked up the habit of checking the lower left corner which I think is called Status Line, but I don't remember. When you hover on a link on a page, that status line will show you what the destination URL is. Of course, it won't show any further re-directs that might take place, but at least it's a good "warning."