Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Problem Event Name BlueScreen (Vista SP1)

Not sure if this is a Vista issue or a laptop issue, but it is starting to occur regularly so I'm very worried and hope a Lounger can offer help. This HP notebook is fairly new (May 2008) and came with Vista pre-installed (unfortunately, but I'm getting used to it). About 2 months after purchase, I got a message that Windows failed to start and would I like to try Restore to get it to start. I did and it did. The same thing happened about a month later and then began to occur about every couple of weeks or so. After it occurred this morning, I compared its "Details" list to another one I'd recorded and it was the same. I have all the details if they will help which include "files that help describe the problem" names and paths.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Should I provide the technical details from the list I was given? I don't think I've downloaded any new programs. Java updates always seem to cause issues so I've deleted all the old versions (as per Secunia Support scan recommendations). That scan suggests my installed programs are okay (haven't checked in the past 3 weeks, however). I did download all the "critical" patches from Patch Tuesday (before I read Woody's advice NOT to) and just downloaded the December 14 IE one (though not restarted until I post this). I use Firefox for the Internet. Let me know if I can provide any other information that would help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Problem Event Name BlueScreen (Vista SP1)

Error messages, error codes, and details are always helpful.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

OK, Joe, thanks. Here are the details that came up:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Additional Information Re. Problem
    BC Code 1000007e
    BC P1 C0000005
    BC P2 8235938A
    BC P3 8BA956AO
    BC P4 8BA9539C
    OS Version 6_0_6001
    SP 1.0
    Product 768_1
    Files that help describe problem:
    C:WindowsMinidumpMini1211208-01/dmp
    C:UsersAdminAppDataLocalTempWER-82867-0.sysdata.xml
    C:UsersAdminAppDataLocalWER7E62.tmp.version.txt

When I checked the box to okay Windows checking for a solution on-line, nothing came up any time this occurred.

Hope this helps, Joe. It's a lot of stuff to read through!

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks

Is there more information in the event log?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

BSOD code 0x7E is SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and Parameter 1 of 0xC0000005 indicates a memory access violation occurred.

There are some suggestions of things you could try here, but there are MANY possible causes so that may not be enough.

StuartR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, so sorry to be late in replying: I'd neglected to check the box for email notification of replies and kept checking email instead of the Lounge! Not sure where i would find "the event log", but I will look if you can tell me where it is. Thanks.

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Stuart. I followed your link but was quickly lost in its detail and don't feel confident enough to try and do any of the suggested corrections. Is this whole error something that can be ignored or should it be pursued? This laptop is THE computer for our business and, although backed up on a Maxtor hard drive, is essential for us to operate.

Another perhaps associated issue: it seems that the error message occurs often after I've given in to Java pop up update reminders and installed their latest update. When the system restores, I think it always goes back to a restore point before the update was installed. Could this be connected or is this just coincidental? I also realize that there are myriad possibilities within a computer's workings that could cause an issue!

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks

You could go to Java SE Downloads and download the offline install package. Save it somewhere on your system and install it as administrator after the download completes.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Joe. Hadn't known about this trick, but will try it.

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, back to you a number of weeks later. A suggestion I was given by a friend was that all this is likely a Vista issue. And one of the reasons the platform has been so often vilified. Any thoughts?

Administrator
    Thanks

I've not seen this problem on any Vista machine that where I've had contact. By May of last year most OEMs had pretty well stabilized the PCs they were selling as far as drivers go. If this did not start happening until you start installing programs then it is most likely one of those programs.

If this is still happening and the PC is still under warranty you ought to contact the vendor.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Aha! See what you mean. Who knows what program might be causing it! It is still occurring, less frequently at the moment, and the HP laptop is still under warranty. I'll do as you suggest and give their support people a try. My first line of attack is always Woody's Lounge, however, as the help has always been on target - and generally, easier to understand!

Will let you know results once I do. Thanks for your prompt reply! :-)

Linda